Wondering what to expect

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

3958v

Wondering what to expect

Post by 3958v »

I know I need to be careful here not to start a political discussion. It appears as though our potential next president has his primary residence about 8 nm from the airport I am based at. just wondering what we can expect as far as airport closures. New garden is a vibrant GA airport just across the state line from Wilmington DE. Please no political comments. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
johneeb

Re: Wondering what to expect

Post by johneeb »

Bill,
During the time President Obama was in office he very seldom visited his home in Chicago, so the VIP TFRs were infrequent.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
170C

Post by 170C »

I wouldn't worry about it.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
canav8

Post by canav8 »

In Hawaii, Obama made a sanctuary on the east side of Oahu so no one could fly or boat anywhere near the east side of the island. One of the biggest hazzards in my opinion. Even airline traffic has to approach the island from the south now. This is an indefinite procedure. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Depends. As pointed out most recent ones don’t visit their homes. It’s the vacations that cause the most TFR headaches. Mr.Trump is in Florida in the winter and New Jersey in the summer, usually weekends. These TFR’s are not as draconian as they used to be, but if your airport is in the “inner core”, no flying.

As we come closer to the election, more TFRs will pop up around the country due to the current President campaigning. We on Long Island deal with the Trump New Jersey TFR most weekends. We are not in it, but going west we have to deal with it one way or another. Last week he came to LI for a fund raiser and that shut our airport down from 5pm until mid night or so.

I agree that if Mr. Biden is elected he would probably not be spending time at his personal residence.

Rich
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Rich. I hope you are right. In the past he had a reputation for returning home a lot. Bill K
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

The main reason I think that is because his personal residence is probably not secure from a secret service standpoint. Trump’s golf club properties lend themselves to security better than his mid town Manhattan home. Talk about a mess when he did turn up there. A TFR was the least of the problems.

As an aside, when Biden was a senator his wife Jill was still teaching and living at their home. When Biden became VP, the President of Northern Virginia CC knew she would probably move to DC so he offered her a job. She ended up working there in the English Department with my sister.
They would have department meetings and rotate through the member’s homes. As a result my sister got to visit The Observatory, the VP residence. When Mr. Biden appeared my sister said “you have a beautiful home” to which he replied “Thank you, But it’s just public housing.”

Best of luck. I hope your impact is minimal.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are permanent (apparently) TFRs /Prohibited areas at both the Dallas and the Crawford Tx homes of GW Bush. Very little impact on most operations, but gotta wonder why one is a low-altitude TFR (which is actually not “temporary”) and the other Prohibited airspace. Reports are actually that he spends most of his time in Dallas and little time at Crawford ...yet the airspace designation seems reversed.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Post by 3958v »

interesting. I have given up trying to make sense of government regulations. So far I am surprised at how small the restrictions are around his house 1sm and 1000agl. Hope it stays that way. Bill K
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Yet a chair lift passed directly over Pres Ford's house in Colorado, at the ski resort.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

counsellj wrote:Yet a chair lift passed directly over Pres Ford's house in Colorado, at the ski resort.
Was that while he was a “sitting” President? :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Would the chair lift over Ford's house been above the upper limit of a TFR?

Where there TFRs when Ford was president?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

johneeb wrote:Would the chair lift over Ford's house been above the upper limit of a TFR?

I don't know. Was never there then.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

counsellj wrote:
johneeb wrote:Would the chair lift over Ford's house been above the upper limit of a TFR?

I don't know. Was never there then.
When Ford President, actually prior to 911, Presidents only got a 3 mile TFR where ever they were.

I enjoyed several low level flights through DC prior to 911. It was shocking how close one could get to the White House. I also had many flights into DC after 911 flying MedEvac as I was exempt, but the level of security, lack of good low level communication with ATC and the pressure to not screw up such as accidentally squawking VFR and loosing your license, job and career, made the pressure so high, it was not enjoyable. I miss flying MedEvac immensely, I do not miss having to fly MedEvac into every Presidental TFR in our area.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The old “river approach” to DCA Rwy 18 involved a very close maneuver to the White House. Did it many times. The departures northbound also required an early turn to the West. (Florida 19 just came to mind as the turn certainly raised their stalling speed when they could ill-afford it.)