Javelin AUX fuel tank

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

todd.mtn

Javelin AUX fuel tank

Post by todd.mtn »

During an engine change/annual/mini restoration on my ‘53 B, the Javelin AUX tank sending unit appears INOP. The ohms are all over the map and inconsistent with float movement. It shows an open circuit in the full position. I called Air Parts of Lock Haven. They needed a part number to do repair/rebuild. The Javelin install manual does not specifically list the sending unit part number. Do any members know what sender Javelin used for this tank? Thanks
Todd Mountain
N4564C ‘53 170B
GAHorn

Re: Javelin AUX fuel tank

Post by GAHorn »

Since my home was extensively damaged in a storm while I was away last convention most of my records/documents are still in storage so I cannot readily access the blueprints which might give that info...but this reminds me to readdress that ....

..Meanwhile, I seem to recall that one of our FL Members once found an exact replacement from O&N Modifications which were perfect fit/replacements for both gauge and sending unit. Unfortunately, O&N is no longer... the Olsons retired and closed their business. Their STC, however, was purchased by Griggs Aircraft who might be able to provide the info as to what PN’s the O&N Aux tank for the C-172. http://griggsaircraft.com/fabrication/aux_fuel_systems
http://griggsaircraft.com/contact
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
todd.mtn

Post by todd.mtn »

Thanks George, appreciate that info. I’ll run down those leads
Todd Mountain
N4564C ‘53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have found my blueprint and see that the “gage” is mfr’d by AC, and is PN 6430693. The blueprint does not provide the make/model of transmitter, but I’ll keep looking for info.

BTW, FYI, the fuel cap is a “Gates GAS 20”.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
todd.mtn

Post by todd.mtn »

Every bit of information about this system will help to get the right parts. Thanks for diving into your storage bins for this info
Todd Mountain
N4564C ‘53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’m having the entire blueprints, installation instructs, pics of fuel system routing, AFM supplements, etc digitized and should be able to upload it to the Mx Library soon.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK, well with some “sleuthing” I have come up with a PN and mfr’ for the sending unit: Stewart-Warner PN: 385C-F
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww- ... 3QQAvD_BwE

The gauge is likely: PN: 385M.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-284m

Hope this helps.
todd.mtn

Post by todd.mtn »

Fantastic George! That will enable me to get a new gauge to match the ohms on that sender. Was that sender part number on the Javelin blue prints??
Todd Mountain
N4564C ‘53 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

todd.mtn wrote:Fantastic George! That will enable me to get a new gauge to match the ohms on that sender. Was that sender part number on the Javelin blue prints??
No. It’s a (non) PMA equivalent.