NY flight quarantines (split fr alternator thread)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

NY flight quarantines (split fr alternator thread)

Post by GAHorn »

Richgj3 wrote:This is the Floyd Jones STC SE8409SW. Distributed by El Reno. Installed in 1993 but only less than 200 hours since. It has over 1/2 inch clearance now. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on it. I just looked through my paper work and found the directions regarding the clearance.
Where do you keep your airplane? (Which airport?)

And how does the “quarantine” rules of NY apply when you fly your personal airplane out of state and back? Do they actually have any enforcement?...or is it an “honor system”>?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Richgj3

Re: Oil leak....Alternator?

Post by Richgj3 »

I’m on Long Island at Brookhaven. About 60 east of NYC. People fly just like they always did. Nobody asks or checks. Block Island is a popular destination for everyone. It’s Rhode Island which is on Chancellor Cuomo’s restricted list.

I don’t usually go anywhere, not because I’m concerned about the rules, just because I’m 74 and would rather not deal with people I don’t know. Among us usual suspects at the airport it’s normal. We all trust each other. Business as usual.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Re: NY flight quarantines

Post by GAHorn »

I see... I’ve been conversing with my daughter and SIL who live in Brooklyn about getting them to/from my place here in Central Tx. One of the concerns was how she would deal with quarantine rules within her limited vacation time. I was considering a trip using Linden, NJ as the departure point and routing via Nashville, Tn where we have relatives to break it into a two-day trip.
We could depart KLDJ and refuel in WV, then on to BNA overnite...then from BNA to AR for fuel, then here near AUS, .... which would only require one fuel stop and about 7 hours elapsed time each day.

SIL is also interested in learning to fly and there’s a club which looks affordable at Linden. I was thinking of encouraging him to do that as a future plan should they be determined to live as dam-yankees.... :lol:
Attachments
57DDC678-811C-4E26-B12E-7BCFE2EB9F3B.gif
57DDC678-811C-4E26-B12E-7BCFE2EB9F3B.gif (5.15 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
76D8EB79-B9E5-4431-A74B-B11AAC7B1B08.gif
76D8EB79-B9E5-4431-A74B-B11AAC7B1B08.gif (5.07 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Richgj3

Re: NY flight quarantines (split fr alternator thread)

Post by Richgj3 »

Lots of flying because of a stupid, in effective rule. Connecticut is not on the list. How about they fly back to Bradley in Hartford and use ground transportation back to Brooklyn? On the other hand, I might just do it. The odds of getting caught are small. Only issue would be if somebody on the flight comes down with it they are going to look for every body on it.

The airlines do hand out forms you must fill out when you arrive in NY. I have heard that collection of them happens sporadically. If they do collect them the traveler can expect a call or a visit to the place where they said they would quarantine. Obviously they can’t follow up on everybody. So, it’s like speeding. Everyone does it. A few get caught.

I know people who fly corporate. No issues there.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

Your plan looks good to me. If you want to ease your concerns, give the NY Covid Hotline a call and speak with someone regarding the quarantine rules when arriving at GA airports. I did exactly that. The agent I spoke with was amused that I was actually concerned. We have been in and out of Westhampton and Teterboro several times this last summer. The wineries were fantastic...
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George, Linden is NOT in NY, it is in NJ. I've flown to NJ airports about every Sunday for the last 3 months for breakfast. No one made me quarantine there before we ate though our one meal took 45 minutes to be served as the airport restaurant was overwhelmed with their new outside seating which doubled their seating capacity. And upon returning to PA no one seemed to know I was gone. :D

BTW I've also been to NY airports twice since covid and no one cared accept they where glad to see us and take our money.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:George, Linden is NOT in NY, it is in NJ......
Yes... I am aware of that.... If you recall, we (you and I) discussed this a few years ago (2008) because after the Benton Harbor convention Jamie and I flew to Niagara for a few days, then down the Hudson and landed at Linden. We caught a taxi to the train and the train to Central Station on Manhattan (total elapsed time taxi/train to Manhattan was only about an hour and cost was about $15 each)....and a week with my daughter. (We left there and flew to Gettysburg and stayed at Herr Tavern (now known as Herr Ridge Inn) where Federal Gen. Buford’s cavalry first confronted the unlimbered cannons of Confederate forces under Gen. Heth.... the actual first shots fired in that sad story.

Herr Ridge Inn is walking distance (1-mile) from the Gettysburg airport, and a mile from the center of town. (Beware... the fuel system at Gettysburg was members-only... fortunately for us, the President of the Seminary was also flying out that day and used his card to gain us access to the fuel pumps.)

Anyway, Linden field is so convenient and so much more affordable than Teterboro for small private aircraft. TEB wanted over $100/night while Linden was only $20 to tie down. For those reasons I am considering it. The alternative might be Republic Field on the island.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yes I recall your earlier trip. But both of us have sleep quite a few nights since then and who knows what we've both forgotten. :?

BTW your favorite Gettysburg airport is home to the world famous rotating pancake grill. They pour the batter on a heated rotating disc of about 6ft in diameter. One rotation with a flip half way around and the batter is a fully cooked pancake.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What diameter ..?? And what RPM...?? :lol:

(That’s a great idea!)

BTW, everyone... anybody wanting to fly in that area or the DC area needs to complete the online FAA course and print the test result out for your record first. (Bruce pointed that out to me and saved me from embarrassment if I’d simply blasted off to go there as I previously had planned.). :wink:

Introduction:
https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/cou ... eview=true

Course:

Course-Credit and Review:
dstates

Post by dstates »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
BTW your favorite Gettysburg airport is home to the world famous rotating pancake grill. They pour the batter on a heated rotating disc of about 6ft in diameter. One rotation with a flip half way around and the batter is a fully cooked pancake.

I’ve seen this style of rotating pancake grill at a number of Midwest pancake breakfasts. Most of the ones I’ve seen appear to be home made. A quick web search shows you can purchase one if you so desire.

https://youtu.be/Bw_ihLX1MdE
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: I’ve seen this style of rotating pancake grill at a number of Midwest pancake breakfasts. Most of the ones I’ve seen appear to be home made. A quick web search shows you can purchase one if you so desire.

https://youtu.be/Bw_ihLX1MdE

Doug, your youtube video shows the idea but I seem to remember this one to be twice the size or at least half again as big. I'm not surprised others have seen them though this EAA chapter sort of describes the machine as a one of a kind to draw in a crowd. And to most of the people eating the pancakes who drive into such breakfasts, it is. And of course being an EAA chapter the machine very well be a one of a kind if they built it which I also suspect. Probably strictly a plans built project. I don't think any one is offering a match drilled quick kit. :D