Prebuy in Phoenix area

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Flyer2017

Prebuy in Phoenix area

Post by Flyer2017 »

I'm looking at a 1953 170B N3009A based at Deer Valley (DVT) and need a mechanic in the area who is familiar with 170s to do a prebuy. Anyone in the Phoenix area that can recommend a mechanic? Thanks
GAHorn

Re: Prebuy in Phoenix area

Post by GAHorn »

I’m sure someone will come-along with a recommendation in the PHX/DVT area soon....but I’ll just jump in with my old mantra in an attempt to help you make a wise decision: There is no such thing as a “pre-buy inspection” defined. It only exists in the mind of the mechanic/inspector...and in the mind of the buyer....with no recourse for the buyer and no accountability for the inspector.
The only inspection that actually and realistically determines the airworthiness of an airplane is a full annual inspection. (No need to pay for repairs... only the inspection is necessary to determine if the airplane is airworthy.). Any defects can be re-negotiated as to who pays for them or as to any selling-price adjustment due to the defects.
The annual inspection can save you many thous$and$.... while a “Pre-buy” can only cost you.
BTDT
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

What George said!
Tim
JimNelson

Post by JimNelson »

I had my 170A prebuy and follow-on annual inspection done at Desert Rat Aviation at Ak-Chin airport in Maricopa just south of Phoenix. Really great to deal with, very helpful. Done in July so they had to take the afternoons off, but very fast and thorough.
1950 170A
N9955A s/n 19315