Why does paint fall off the belly

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Why does paint fall off the belly

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I've been shopping for a trainer which has me looking at other planes besides my 170.

Here and there I've run into a plane or two where the paint is coming off the belly...... Why would the paint fall off the belly, aggressive cleaning? Usually on old planes and paint jobs it's peeling off the wings and top of the fuselage while the bottom looks pretty good once the gunk is wiped off.
c170b53

Re: Why does paint fall off the belly

Post by c170b53 »

Just guessing from personal experiences, paint comes off basically due to inadequate prep. If the belly is not perfectly clean then the primer may not bond. If using Alodine, you need to have a dwell time but if you are working alone the fuselage can be a bit large in that if you start at the top by the time you get to the bottom its time to wash off the top which will prematurely wash off the bottom. Simple stuff but the belly is hard to clean, hard to strip off the old paint, hard to prep for primer ( spraying Alumi prep on a creeper, scrubbing and then flushing with water.is easier done in summer in your bathing suit (conditions your skin at the same time)). Getting uniform coats of primer and paint on the belly takes a bit of skill as well.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

It’s all in the preparation. One of the best paint shops on the east coast is at my airport. It is incredible to see the work that goes into stripping, cleaning and prepping. There’s a 182 he painted almost 30 years ago. No peeling and it’s been outside most of the time.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi Rich,

Is that Ed's? I just got a quote from him along with a tour of his shop. Good to know he is highly thought of.

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Yes, that’s Ed’s. I’ve been watching his work for more than 25 years. The guy is an artist. I’m there most every day. Usually for lunch!
If you are planning to come down let me know. PM. Or email

Richgj3 (at) aol (dot) com
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Rich,

Thanks, will do!
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT