Wiring upgrade **look what I found!!**

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Wiring upgrade **look what I found!!**

Post by GAHorn »

One of the most common sayings in aircraft projects: “Well, we’ve gone THIS far.....We might as well.....”
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
huminajumina

Post by huminajumina »

c170b53 wrote:
This has turned into a bigger project than I set out to do!!! 8O :lol: :lol:
Almost every project does! Very good effort here.
You could swap your pedals from the co-pilots side and keep the original look whilst you hunt for a pedal. At the same time you can clean all the rudder tube blocks and check your master cylinder attachment points for structural deficiencies. (more project creep but you are waiting :D )
GAHorn wrote:One of the most common sayings in aircraft projects: “Well, we’ve gone THIS far.....We might as well.....”

Haha, Youre both so right.... It just keeps going. Every time i take something off the list, I find something else to add to it!!
1954 170B Hedgesville, WV
Rudi
dstates

Post by dstates »

I had the same issue... I was just going to add LED nav/strobe lights and a switch when I started and I ended up with all new circuit breakers and all new wiring in my plane (except for a few wires that went through the firewall). However, in the end I was much happier knowing what was behind the panel and much more confident too. Plus it was much easier to make avionics upgrades later.

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
huminajumina

Post by huminajumina »

dstates wrote:I had the same issue... I was just going to add LED nav/strobe lights and a switch when I started and I ended up with all new circuit breakers and all new wiring in my plane (except for a few wires that went through the firewall). However, in the end I was much happier knowing what was behind the panel and much more confident too. Plus it was much easier to make avionics upgrades later.

Doug
Haha, yup! I did the LED ladning/Taxi, strobe, nav lighting....problem is now I actually want to turn them all on, and my Generator clearly did not want me to turn them on!!! so the Alternator, battery, and breakers will clearly help with that. Yes, I agree with you, knowing what is behind the panel, and out in the wings, and empennage is definitely useful. I plan to clean up the few old wires that are left when I do some panel upgrades.
1954 170B Hedgesville, WV
Rudi