uAvionix AV-30-C

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4583C

uAvionix AV-30-C

Post by 4583C »

Still haven’t done anything about ADSB out as I was waiting for the tail beacon to be certified and about the time that happened I started seeing info about the tail beacon-X in the pipeline. Really need the AV-30 to control the transponder and I rather liked the idea of replacing the 40 year old attitude indicator and all the other whiz bang things the AVx30 does. The tail beacon-X would replace my aging transponder and dead encoder so I would actually have something in the cockpit other than the ipad and Sentry from this century. The majority of comments I have seen online are complimentary with a few grumps thrown in. I know at least a couple on the forum have installed the AV-30 and I would appreciate your thoughts.
Link to the AV-30: https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/
Last edited by 4583C on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Pearce

Re: uAvionix AV-30-C

Post by Kevin Pearce »

I too have been following the TailbeaconX and am waiting to install. This combination is really cutting edge IMHO.
My IA suggested keeping the original AI and fitting the AV-30C in the top centre of the panel.
brianm

Post by brianm »

Mine is installed but not yet flown. I did the install, A&P decided to extend his winter vacation a couple of weeks, so the paperwork isn't done. The job itself was straight forward. I did the optional OAT probe and audio connection to the intercom. Obviously can't comment on how it works just yet but it sure looks pretty power up in the panel. I'll be sure to report back once I go flying.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Paul, I’m lo#ing sleep over this one. Good post as I need to have ADSB, not that I think it will do anything for me other than to allow flight into control zones.
So I have waited for the x which works in Canada as well as the States. Need to have the AV-30 to control it but I also see they have for the homebuilt crowd a smaller simpler control head. Looking at the docs for the AV-30 there’s little info on the hook-up to the Tailbeacon x. I also wonder whether the cabling will be affected with the rudder movement. I also would like to have a panel GPS to feed data to a new ELT. I have a 406 now but its dated and want to replace it. My radios would also like a GPS feed. It all seems so simple but to get things zi need, the units feature lots of stuff I don’t need and the bill seems sky high.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
dstates

Post by dstates »

c170b53 wrote:Paul, I’m lo#ing sleep over this one. Good post as I need to have ADSB, not that I think it will do anything for me other than to allow flight into control zones.
So I have waited for the x which works in Canada as well as the States. Need to have the AV-30 to control it but I also see they have for the homebuilt crowd a smaller simpler control head. Looking at the docs for the AV-30 there’s little info on the hook-up to the Tailbeacon x. I also wonder whether the cabling will be affected with the rudder movement. I also would like to have a panel GPS to feed data to a new ELT. I have a 406 now but its dated and want to replace it. My radios would also like a GPS feed. It all seems so simple but to get things zi need, the units feature lots of stuff I don’t need and the bill seems sky high.

If you want a panel GPS and ADS-B, look into the Garmin GNX 375. It is GPS and ADSB In and Out transponder all in one unit.
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry for bit of a rant but the GNX 375 is priced at about 10K Canadian, worse the Garmin network will only sell to experimental, if you want certified you must get it installed by their local franchise. I do most of my avionics work and sometimes work with a local shop if I do not have the test equipment. The guy who owns it is solid but Garmin will not award him / anoint him because they have someone else who sells locally at a very fancy facility.
For Canadians, most of us want ADSB compatible with the Aireon, which requires a 1090 with antenna diversity. So the x option seems like a way to go. I can see the documentation on the Tail-beacon but the requirement of the beacon, in a certified install, is the AV30. I haven’t found documentation showing anything about that feature on the AV30. The AV30 requires an external gps feed for it to utilize some its functions. I get the feeling I’m diving down another rabbit hole.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I have a regular tailbeacon which works fine with my old transponder. I am planning to upgrade to an X with an AV30 at a later date. Would I need two if I wanted to remove the vacuum system at the same time?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
brianm

Post by brianm »

If you want to fly IFR you would need two. The certified AV-30 can be installed AI mode (where it also provides a legal slip-skip ball) or DG mode. The AI mode can be configured to show heading but it is supplemental only. In AI mode it also does not provide rate of turn, so to be legal you would still need a turn-and-bank or turn coordinator.

I'm VFR-only, so I ripped out the vacuum system and installed a single AV-30 in AI mode.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
Larry E

Post by Larry E »

I made a new instrument panel and overlay last year. Didn't get to use it much - then the attitude indicator failed. So I bought an AV-30C the month they became certified. Works very well.The panel's heading indicator is also getting weak so I have removed it - as well as the entire vacuum system (engine driven pump) - and will soon be adding another AV-30C.
I have also talked with the factory at length with respect to the new "X" tailbeacon. When my old Garmin transponder acts up, it too will be history. Adding the certified ADS-B and mode S transponder by simply adding a shielded, twisted pair, 22 gauge wire in the unit's 15 pin connecter, and running it to the rudder makes it a no-brainer for me.
The lady I spoke with at uavionics was VERY knowledgeable about their products and General Aviation. And, BIG PLUS: it was less than one minute from the time I dialled the phone number until I was talking with her!
Test flight.jpeg
Coolin170

Post by Coolin170 »

Beautiful panel, Classic structure, but Clean New look!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here I sit with two airplanes which have Narco AT-150 txdrs..... and a spare AT-150.... and it kinda “hurts” when I read someone writing “when my old Garmin transponder acts up”. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

GAHorn wrote:Here I sit with two airplanes which have Narco AT-150 txdrs..... and a spare AT-150.... and it kinda “hurts” when I read someone writing “when my old Garmin transponder acts up”. :lol:
How much do you want for your spare AT-150? Asking for a friend...LOL

Joe
4518C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe Moilanen wrote:
GAHorn wrote:Here I sit with two airplanes which have Narco AT-150 txdrs..... and a spare AT-150.... and it kinda “hurts” when I read someone writing “when my old Garmin transponder acts up”. :lol:
How much do you want for your spare AT-150? Asking for a friend...LOL

Joe
4518C
With two airplanes equipped with the same txdr...and the mfr’r out of business..... .there’s a reason I have a “spare”>. LOL

Truth be known... IF they’d come out with the TailBeacon-X back before the rebates ended.... I would have gone that route.
AS it turned out.... the rebates didn’t work out well for me anyway. I spent more money flying around getting the Skybeacon calibrated so as to meet the requirements of the rebate...it was not really advantageous. On top of that.... because I was a “co-owner” of the 172 (instead of being smart enough to simply put in the wifes’ name alone....we didn’t get the rebate for the second install.

I’m also disappointed in the (lack of) brilliance and the angle-of-departure of the wingtip anti-collision lighting of the skyibeacon/skysensor set-up. It’s not exactly blinding... despite their claims it meets the requirements.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Did you consider or compare the RC Allen 3” Attitude indicator? Its $2500. I currently have a turn and slip indicator above the pilot yoke, would be neat to swap it for one of these.
B623187E-0128-47AD-B3BD-0D21312D5517.jpeg
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

With the RC Allen 3in , I have seen numerous reliability issues . Firstly it boots up but on a angle or a totally black screen . Or when in flight it freezes . These issues are not with one aircraft but numerous it got to the stage a major avionics shop wasn’t selling or fitting them . My humble opinion is the unit doesn’t like voltage fluctuations .on a test bench
And a voltage of 13.8 votes all is good but fit it to a aircraft and after a time period or a change in electrical load they play up. It was found it was best to have a seperate switch for the instruments to be powered up. For 2,500 dollars I would be looking at Garmin G5. Yes Garmin is not perfect but it’s reliability is better.