Rosen Sunvisors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Karl Towle

Re: Rosen Sunvisors

Post by Karl Towle »

I neglected to post pictures of my installation. I took the approach of mounting from the stock single #10 nut-plate. I started out by fabricating two bushings that would just fit in one of the lightning holes in the Rosen bracket, but with the hole for the #10 cap screw off center like this:
RosenBushings.jpg
However, there was no way to use the stock mounting hole, without modifying their bracket. So, the outboard sides were milled off, and the finished installation looks like this:
RosenBracket.jpg
To install, insert the offset bushing and screw, then turn the bushing to pull the bracket back tight to the front of the spar carry-through, while tightening the cap-screw. The trim around the wing-root vent also needed to be trimmed for clearance
I've been very happy with this installation, and so far, have had no problems with the single screw loosening in service.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That’s a great solution, Karl. I wish I was that clever.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I ordered new Rosen sun visors from a supplier and stored them for about 13 months , . I am very time poor and have many other projects on the go. So one day I thought I had a couple of spare hours [lock down relaxed] and opened the sealed box. To my shock and horror the ones in the box didn’t fit the paper work supplied. Contacted the supplier about the mix up and they referred me to Rosen. Basically I was on my own. Then checking the plastic sleeve on the box for the invoice and found I had been charged over $2500 US. Gulp ,I need a drink. Many phone calls later I have been sold Cessna visors from a later citation jet. These visor runs on a rail over head behind the windscreen. This rail fitted exactly on the 170 hat section on holes already there . The length had to trimmed slightly . These holes had plastic blanks fitted . Screwed the rails on . Every thing works .
I should have checked the invoice [electronically delivered] with the items delivered . But due to the COVID-19 ,it was delivered to to the business [airport] and me at home under lock down. And me being slack and lazy and doing other things let time slip by . The legality of it can be argued as these are removable and not a fixture .
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Well, after that fascinating story/tease, please post a picture or three!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:... I have been sold Cessna visors from a later citation jet. These visor runs on a rail over head behind the windscreen. This rail fitted exactly on the 170 hat section on holes already there .... The legality of it can be argued as these are removable and not a fixture .
Perhaps they thought your 170 was RED. :twisted:

Don’t know about things “Down Under”... but generally, in the “lower 48”... if it’s actually bolted to the airframe it has to have a basis of approval and is not considered “loose equipment”. However a lot of leeway is given for Interior-Refurbishment items if no structural changes are made. Having them fit the existing mounting holes makes it nice.... only a logbook entry should normally suffice, IMO.

An example of this sort of logic was demonstrated during a “ramp check” I witnessed where the Inspector accepted a GPS installation as “loose equipment” because it was mounted using “velcro”.... and powered thru a cigar-lighter plug-in. If it had been permanently wired-into the aircraft electrical system it would have to be considered “installed equipment” instead ...(according to the Inspector.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I think it was 3 screws into the plastic plugs for the attachment of the rail overhead. For the Rosen attachment. As I have argued in the past about “loose” equipment in the aircraft on ramp checks. Example of the woollen blanket on the back seat held in with the seat belt. Yes it goes with the aircraft part of the aircraft equipment. I have had this conversation on many a time about the portable Garmin GPS and my iPad attachment also. So far all good. I think if it doesnt affect airworthiness of the aircraft eg structural changes ,hindering line of sight ,danger to the occupants etc, it’s ok. I can take my iPad from aircraft to aircraft , so a log book entry isn’t really required.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

They may be a pain to install, but they sure work great. Better than I expected. The tint is just the right density and the swivel and slide actions are smooth and stay put. I'm very happy with them.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Have pics of your install DaveF?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This is before I peeled off the paper! I can get better pics of the mounting if you want.
BBA7E582-C0B7-4CE0-9784-64DCE7C2594A.jpeg
0C4B448D-8E08-4C34-A658-8376D1E12214.jpeg
C0B74ADB-CFE7-4627-9A84-E2A4EDE27B12.jpeg
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thanks Dave, what model number are these?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

E800E24C-CD2A-433A-B48A-4167784C6AD0.jpeg
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Awesome. I wondered if it was 300-1. Thanks.