Reserved C170 Type Parking at OSH 2005 - FULL

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

webmaster
Site Admin

Reserved C170 Type Parking at OSH 2005 - FULL

Post by webmaster »

Arrangements have been made for registered members of the International Cessna 170 Association to park/camp as a group during AirVenture 2005.

The reserved area is located on the West side of the Tramway, between the Hanger Cafe and the Ultra light Red Barn. (generally rows W70 to W80)

Space will be limited, so we need your confirmation of attendance early. A specially coded window placard will advise EAA volunteers and permit access to the reserved area. The placard will be issued to registrants a few weeks prior to the show.

The airport/parking/camping opens July 1 2005. The type club reserved area will be held open up to noon of the day BEFORE the show opens (Monday, July 25). After that, open spaces will be filled with other Vintage camping units. This means you must plan to arrive prior to Monday Noon, July 25, 2005.

Several members have indicated an interest in a group arrival. This has been done by many type clubs in the past. It is very popular with all. If it is going to happen, we would need to plan on arriving, briefing and staging a formation arrival to OSH from one of the small reliever airports just outside of OSH. (I would suggest Wautoma Y50. 30 mi NW of OSH) We could meet there Monday morning and fly into OSH under the command of a group leader. I arrive at OSH up to a week prior to the start, but would fly out to join this activity.

To begin, post your intentions and questions to this thread. That will give us a pretty good count and allow us to maintain dialog. More information will follow....stay tuned.

John Nielsen
'48 C170 N4034V
Bloomer, WI (WI18)
c 715-829-6512
Last edited by webmaster on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Hi John,
Holly and I would like to throw our names in the hat for a group arrival on the 25th of July. We'll probably only be able to stay for 3 or 4 nights, but the group/formation arrival sounds like fun!
Matt Haag 6943
'52 170B
N170HT
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Add my name to the list. I will probably have to bug out early (leave Thursday or Friday July 28 or 29) due to limited vacation days in the summer. But I'd be really interested in the group arrival! That sounds like a blast. I may even get to OSH a day early and fly back out like John Nielsen, just to have the opportunity to be in the group arrival.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I would like to join the group fly in. But, will most likely park where I parked this year over in the North Forty. I guess an explanation is in order. My camping buddies go deep sea fishing the week before Oshkosh. And, they pull up alongside a shrimp boat and offer cases of beer for fresh shrimp caught that day. A large ice chest is loaded up with these goodies and more, then covered with dry ice before it is loaded in their 206. That blackened seafish, different shrimp entrees, fresh corn on the cob, cajun dishes, etc. made for some terrific meals during the camping week. WE ATE LIKE KINGS! The worst meal we had all week was thick steak fillets with the trimmings.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
C170BDan

parking

Post by C170BDan »

Wow... its sounds like you went to Oshkosh for the food! I go for the neat vintage airplanes and the fun people I meet. Met ALOT of great people this year while just sitting under the 170 in the VINTAGE PARKING AREA! (HINT, HINT)

I'd like to park with the 170 group as well. Boy... this is planning ahead for Oshkosh!
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Now Dan, that is not a fair reply! :lol: You didn't camp, you stayed in a motor home. Am sure that your Mom was doing some good cooking for you. We all go for the great people and airplanes, but if you can have some great food vs those vendors, then why not? There were lots and lots of great people where I was too. And, daily trips to the vintage parking to admire the 170's.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

We should plan to prepare and serve some nice meals as a group. Sounds like we have a source for fresh shrimp! My wife makes a mean jambalaya. 'bet those Texans raise some fine beef (hint hint). I have access to a vehicle for supply runs and if I arrive early like this year, I will see if I can grab a picnic table or two for our group. Couple of tarps thrown over the wings and we got ourselves a party. This year we had a gas powered blender. Went thru 5 gal of tequila and twice that of margarita mix for the folks that were in our area and those that stopped by to see the blender in action.
C170BDan

parking

Post by C170BDan »

Nope... that wasnt fair... just had to laugh because I saw the size of those steaks you were cooking that one night! 8O We all do Oshkosh our own way... and after discussing the trip I think we both know how much fun we had. Will be fun to park/camp together because our 170s will sure look good all in a group! 8)

The tables and group party sound fun, John. Did anyone else see the guy in the inflatable couch? I might have to find one of those!

Dan
1956 170B N3467D
Gary

Post by Gary »

Put our name in for the mass arrival and group parking/camping. We flew in this year and got there at noon on Monday. We parked in row 128, way South of the sea plane base! It was great fun though. We would have loved to park and camp next to other 170s, and closer to town. We flew a total of 45 hours from the time we left VA on to Denver and then OSK before getting home. We will be there for 2005.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Observing the OSH picture - How come Lower 48 tents don't have full cover rain fly's? I still believe the only survival gear needed south of Idaho is a Cell Phone and Credit Card! :lol: Except for in the Spicewoods of course! We'd like to make Dearborn or Oshkosh next summer, but Joe don't come trying to get in our tent if it rains and your shrimp buddies party gets all wet!
:wink:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

AR Dave wrote:Observing the OSH picture - How come Lower 48 tents don't have full cover rain fly's? I still believe the only survival gear needed south of Idaho is a Cell Phone and Credit Card! :lol: Except for in the Spicewoods of course! We'd like to make Dearborn or Oshkosh next summer, but Joe don't come trying to get in our tent if it rains and your shrimp buddies party gets all wet!
:wink:
How come Dave? You and Tracy are welcome in my tent rain or shine!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Remember we've seen your tent set up, at least sorta! :lol:
OK, since we're not having to stay in a tent at Grand Prairie, we'll take a spare real tent to OSH. But slip a to-go bag, of them shrimp, under your rain coat when you come back to our side of the tracks. :wink:
lbell1945

Post by lbell1945 »

Count me in & save me a spot.
Larry Bell 7798
'52 170b
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I'm going to plan on it as well, I've wanted to go to Oshkosh for years.
DWood

Reserved Parking at 2005 Airventure

Post by DWood »

I am also interested in signing up for reserved parking at Airventure. Please sign me up.