Interesting and/or Useful Trivia

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Interesting and/or Useful Trivia

Post by GAHorn »

I’m often reminded how little I actually know and a footnote I’d overlooked for some time slapped me recently so I thought it might be Fun to have a Thread in these Forums addressing “Trivia” that is Interesting or Useful. (Let’s try to use this Thread only for posting New, Interesting, or Useful Trivia discoveries about our airplanes and equipment …and take any discussions of them to its own dedicated thread, please. That way this thread will mainly be to List or Expose the Trivia, can that work?)

For an initial Trivia with which to begin this Thread:

From Continental SIL 98-9, issued in 2013, there exists a potential INCREASE IN TBO of our C145/O300 Engine to TWO THOUSAND HOURS

From Footnote 1: “ If an engine consistently accumulates 40 or more hours per month since being placed in service, add 200 hours to recommended TBO.”
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dstates

Re: Interesting and/or Useful Trivia

Post by dstates »

I like this idea, George.

Here is one I learned last week at Oshkosh. I asked a gentleman standing next to a cherry straight 170 what the three circle patches were on the side of the plane. You can all tell me if he is right or feeding me a load of ….

He said that these three ports were to allow flares to be “fired” out of the side of the plane to help the pilot during instrument flying back in the early days. He said the FAA predecessor required them. I did a little bit of Google research and I have a feeling these flares were for night flight, not instrument flight. He said they quickly were removed as a requirement as many hangars burned down and other issues came from having flares in the plane.

Below the picture is a page from the 170 parts catalog showing the installation.
BBEAEBD9-097F-413C-8EAB-55BD31D421A7.jpeg
743916E2-B327-475B-997B-D31D11D31A6D.jpeg
Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

It’s shown as an accessory in the owner’s manual. I’m pretty sure it was more for night flight than instrument.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

At one time the CAA required “commercial operators” to carry flares, used for signaling intentions and illumination in the traffic pattern. As radio communications became prevalent the flares were ordered disabled/removed for reasons of safety.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I've been wondering when the flare tubes are going to become the "must-have" mod, right up there with tail handles and baggage doors.