AOPA Sweepstakes aircraft: Cessna 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

Re: AOPA Sweepstakes aircraft: Cessna 170B

Post by n3833v »

I think is is interesting that they choose a 170 for the giveaway plane since next year EAA is celebrating the 170 for it's showcase.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Well I had a chance to quickly view the plane and I believe the merits of which type of restoration should be undertaken by AOPA be best debated by sitting down and quaffing one’s usual. It’s a plane Jane needing some love or a lot of love. Really it’s like most where it makes no sense to make it a shiny period piece. It’s best to make it into the best all around machine it can be, spending money on the best bang for the buck. I would think a upgraded engine, prop and avionics plus a new interior would be what the masses would want. If the new owner wants to go back country and add more mods that would be up to him or her. Not sure someone would want to remove a upgraded engine and replace it with an original engine, not many I think would go that route.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

If it hasn't already been pointed out I would note that the same utility category limitation for stalls exists for the 172.

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
falco

Post by falco »

To restore to stock or to modify?

I'm firmly in the 'do whatever you want' camp with your 170. (mostly thinking of 170Bs)
When there are enough of a type flying that are reasonably original I don't think we need to keep them all that way.

There are PLENTY of flying examples of this type that are mostly unmodified and an enthusiastic group of owners that will keep them that way. The 'original' 170 is not a dying breed. Same with Supercubs. Model A's. '60s Ford Mustangs.
I think there's a lot of room for both stock and modified. I don't advocate modifying things that are rare.

It remains to be seen what AOPA does with this one. My first question, what is it gonna weigh when done?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

falco wrote:To restore to stock or to modify?

I'm firmly in the 'do whatever you want' camp with your 170. (mostly thinking of 170Bs)
When there are enough of a type flying that are reasonably original I don't think we need to keep them all that way.

There are PLENTY of flying examples of this type that are mostly unmodified and an enthusiastic group of owners that will keep them that way. The 'original' 170 is not a dying breed. Same with Supercubs. Model A's. '60s Ford Mustangs.
I think there's a lot of room for both stock and modified. I don't advocate modifying things that are rare.

It remains to be seen what AOPA does with this one. My first question, what is it gonna weigh when done?
I think this is a reasonable attitude toward the subject. I have a reputation amongst many (who may not really know me) that I am an originality “Nazi”… but I’m not, howeverI am a proponent of good function and appearance…and I have strong opinions about some mods I believe have little improvement to offer the airplane versus the cost and appearance changes they make.

I like modifications to “appear” OEM or well-done…. My friend Adrian Trevis (whom I admire greatly as a former RAF and retired United Captain, former crewmember and current dear family friend) …used to say (we were looking at DC10s as compared to L-1011s and Hansa Jets as compared to Lear Jets and Argosy’s and Beverly’s as compared to Lockheed C-130s),… He would say … “If it Looks ‘right’…. it probably is… if it Looks odd…it probably is.”
My 170 has a dozen or more “mods” which I feel improves on the original design….but You’d have to look closely (or be Bruce) for that to jump out at you. The Sweepstakes airplane (in video) looks like a great candidate for restoration… but Jims’ in-person inspection is probably more valid…it is possibly a better candidate for highly-modified status.
I just hope they do a great job with it and the new owner becomes a TIC170A Member in long standing. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I would say it needs tidying up and AOPA can afford a new engine and the like. I’m not a fan of the tundra stol mods but I don’t know how to fly those conditions or have a need to have such a plane. I imagine there are those that do that type of flying or wish to and would want just what I would not. I’ll bet they AIPA will shoot for the middle of the bell curve. Either way it’s great AOPA is promoting the plane and giving it its due.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Have any other longtime Association members noticed that this airplane was the one right in front of Ed Booth’s former ‘53 B-model (N3225A) at the factory?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Had another closer look and it’s better than I thought, this will be a good airplane when done. Also met the project manager , whom seemed to be a knowledgeable sort, also met the lovely lady who wrote their cover story, charming gal, good luck AOPA
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
3958v

Post by 3958v »

For those of you claiming the 170 has the same rudder as the 195 that is not correct. The 170 actually has more rudder than a 195 as there is no tail cone on the 170 and the rudder extends lower on the 170. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:….. Either way it’s great AOPA is promoting the plane and giving it its due.
Next year it will be featured at AirVenture….. 2023 will be the 120th anniversary of First Flight and the 1953 170-B was the 50th Anniversary of Flight celebratory model by Cessna…. so it’s apropos ?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Thought I would expand on AOPA’s 170, after talking to the project manager, I was somewhat surprised at how they were going to tackle the project. Obviously they have a tight schedule to turn the plane Jane into some Wow factor which will limit the depth of the rebuild. If it were my plane I would rip it apart to find out exactly its true condition but I’m not sure they will do that. I discussed taking off the wings for inspection and painting but that doesn’t seem to be in the plan. Also I think the final project will be more slanted to the backcountry crowd as it seems AOPA wants to appeal to their younger crowd as they are young too.
Maybe they should have dropped it off at Del’s in Mena and saved themselves alot of pain.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I’ll also add separately (should the mods want to move this), good effort by George but aside from the engine I doubt there will be many if any removed parts available to be donated to the association. I would think (I’m probably wrong) that AOPA would have deep pockets and connections but they will likely sell the engine to a reseller such as Wentworth to get project funds.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:I’ll also add separately (should the mods want to move this), good effort by George but aside from the engine I doubt there will be many if any removed parts available to be donated to the association. I would think (I’m probably wrong) that AOPA would have deep pockets and connections but they will likely sell the engine to a reseller such as Wentworth to get project funds.
That’s why I mentioned especially the parts which Will be removed…such as engine, (and accessories such as starter/generator/alternator, carburetor, airbox, etc) prop, engine-mount, and spinner…and the cowling nose-bowl which would be especially helpful to our Membership. Then there are avionics and lighting possibilities. I don’t have any “wild” expectations…but if you don’t ask…you’ll never know how helpful AOPA might or might not be toward Type Clubs. (They have already been reaching out to me for some deeper parts and maintenance answers and help, which we have provided…and they have mentioned The Int’l Cessna 170 Assoc’n in their latest article…so that is an encouraging change of behavior.