Oil Sump Corrosion

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Richgj3

Re: Oil Sump Corrosion

Post by Richgj3 »

C145 or O300?
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Richgj3 wrote:C145 or O300?
O-300-A

Previous repair was a non approved epoxy. My new rebuilder is looking into spray welding using an FAA approved process.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Sorry, I know of a perfect C145 sump. Don’t think they are compatible and don’t know if it’s available but if you know it would work, I can check. Owner bought it as a spare in case he would ever need it.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

There are only 2 basic types of sumps for all the C-145 or 0-300 engines. The major differences are the number of holes for bolts that attach the accessory case to it. The early C-145s had only 3 bolts between the sump and the accessory case. These are rare yet I owned one. Most sumps will be the second version which have 5 bolts between the sump and the accessory case.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

mmcmillan2 wrote:
O-300-A

Previous repair was a non approved epoxy. My new rebuilder is looking into spray welding using an FAA approved process.
What is meant by “non approved epoxy”..?? The ONLY “approved” repair (that I know of) is an EPOXY repair ..and it IS “Approved” …. performed by
[edit]

Okanagan Aero Engine
#1 550 Aerospace Drive
Kelowna, BC Canada V1V1S1
250-765-9718

Also…just because epoxy repair was performed by someone other than Kelowna Engines….does not mean it is “un-airworthy”. The return to service (if one exists) by the repair facility who did that epoxy repair “approved” it when (if) they included the repair procedure in the maintenance records and dated/signed it with their cert. no. Subsequent persons don’t have to accept that, certainly. But I’m wondering if you might not have a situation where the present shop is unaware that Epoxy repairs can be performed that meet Airworthiness Authorities acceptance.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

You mentioned spray welding. The folks at Kelowna who do the epoxy repair will not do their repair on a sump that has been welded. Magnesium is very difficult to weld correctly.

I would send it to Kelowna first and if they reject it for any reason, then send it to the spray welder. More options that way.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

George, you must of missed my post a little while back.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16125&hilit=sump+repair

Airworx is apparently spray welding the sumps with new magnesium.

Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Checked the sump I have access to and it is the three bolt version.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:George, you must of missed my post a little while back.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16125&hilit=sump+repair

Airworx is apparently spray welding the sumps with new magnesium.
This topic must be running in several threads. I replied thusly:
GAHorn wrote:The FIRST link you povided does not provide any basis for approval.

The Second link does not apply to the O-300.

Neither link is at cexxna170org… but is at facebook which is not referenced in the thread.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

GAHorn wrote:
mmcmillan2 wrote:
O-300-A

What is meant by “non approved epoxy”..?? The ONLY “approved” repair (that I know of) is an EPOXY repair ..and it IS “Approved” …. performed by Kelowna Engines in B.C.

Also…just because epoxy repair was performed by someone other than Kelowna Engines….does not mean it is “un-airworthy”. The return to service (if one exists) by the repair facility who did that epoxy repair “approved” it when (if) they included the repair procedure in the maintenance records and dated/signed it with their cert. no. Subsequent persons don’t have to accept that, certainly. But I’m wondering if you might not have a situation where the present shop is unaware that Epoxy repairs can be performed that meet Airworthiness Authorities acceptance.
I think the last rebuilder may have done a DIY repair. I haven’t seen it myself. I did suggest to the current rebuilder that the Kelowna has an approved option.

In regards to spray welding, I believe it is a third party that offers that service.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Richgj3 wrote:Checked the sump I have access to and it is the three bolt version.
Thanks, if we give up on mine then I’ll see what type I need.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yes George you posted first at the post I made back in lat June stating that Airworx seemed to have some very interesting things going on.

Yes you are correct George, on the FB page Airworx did not show a engineering repair order to spray weld 0-300 sumps. I may have jumped the gun but they say they can do it.

Considering the number of engineering repair orders they do show if you scroll down their FB page, to do some very interesting other things to worn out engine parts, it would't surprise me that they do have one to repair 0-300 sumps. And one of those things I find very interesting is their Engineering Order to repair small Continental cranks. You are right you can't find a small Continental crank in a 170 but if they can do it to a 0200 crank they just might be able to apply that to a 0-300 crank at some point. BTW it was not my intent for thread drift linking to a post with info on another new possible sump fix that also had a link to crank fixes.

As for the first link I posted and which you quoted, it does go directly to my June 27 post in our forum at cessna170.org, not FB. The links to FB are in the post of June 27 I linked to. Cessna170.org does not have to appear and won't when the link to a post is copied and pasted inside our forum because it is understood to be at cessna170.org. Copy and paste viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16125&hilit=sump+repair in a browser and it won't find my June 27 post.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Yes George you posted first at the post I made back in lat June stating that Airworx seemed to have some very interesting things going on.

Yes you are correct George, on the FB page Airworx did not show a engineering repair order to spray weld 0-300 sumps. I may have jumped the gun but they say they can do it.

Considering the number of engineering repair orders they do show if you scroll down their FB page, to do some very interesting other things to worn out engine parts, it would't surprise me that they do have one to repair 0-300 sumps. And one of those things I find very interesting is their Engineering Order to repair small Continental cranks. You are right you can't find a small Continental crank in a 170 but if they can do it to a 0200 crank they just might be able to apply that to a 0-300 crank at some point. BTW it was not my intent for thread drift linking to a post with info on another new possible sump fix that also had a link to crank fixes.

As for the first link I posted and which you quoted, it does go directly to my June 27 post in our forum at cessna170.org, not FB. The links to FB are in the post of June 27 I linked to. Cessna170.org does not have to appear and won't when the link to a post is copied and pasted inside our forum because it is understood to be at cessna170.org. Copy and paste viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16125&hilit=sump+repair in a browser and it won't find my June 27 post.
It’s early AM as I’m reading this…and I began to hallucinate trying to make sense of to-what you were referring…. Than it HIT me! :lol:

For those wishing to connect-the-dots….Here’s a link to that parallel universe: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16125&hilit=sump+repair
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Be very wary of unscrupulous persons in the industry. I had a very servicable sump [no corrosion] and sold it to a person in Canada . I had taken photos of the sump including the
offending areas. the buyer was happy what he saw and sent me the money . The buyer asked me to send it to a engine rebuilder in the USA which i did. The engine
rebuilder then tells the new owner of the sump could he send it to a repair facility for assessment and possible repair . WHAT??? That sump was in perfect condition. I then said to the new owner of the sump check the photos . That sump had been soda blasted at my place before sale and photos. What i hadn’t told anybody i had engraved a number on the rear edge of the sump. It was obvious in the photos that the number was there when it was pointed out . i asked for photos of the rear of the sump that was in possession.
Sorry we can’t find it, it must have been thrown out. THEN the repair facility sent me a letter suggesting that i repay the new owner the cost of the sump as they had deemed it unserviceable . these guys must drink Red cool aid . Please note… The repair facility name has been splashed across this forum in the past.

PS. I always engrave a number on all my parts that i sell for tracking purposes in case of stolen parts or if they have been used in a unauthorised situation.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Well guys, I got my sump fixed for $1500 via the spray welding process. I’m told it looks like new now.