Glareshields

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

strangebird

Glareshields

Post by strangebird »

I was wondering how many have a glare shield in their 170?, and has anyone installed the fiberglass ones from Selkirk or Ashby.( ACS)? Ease of installation and looks? I am not taking out the windshield

Has anyone bought one the kits that are out there (ACS , SPT) probably the same, and made one from the materials they supply and the result and effort needed to make one.

Any other ideas appreciated, I was also thinking of having someone make one but then that has a whole other situation as in finding some one to do it. as I live in the sticks.

Any pictures would be appreciated as well.
170C

Re: Glareshields

Post by 170C »

I think anyone with average skills could make an acceptable glareshield for their plane. When I had my interior redone the individual who did all of it make one for me without my asking that he do so. I had a padded glareshield, but it didn't extend much beyond the original metal shield. He replaced the padded area with a new padded area and made the edge extend over the original edge by 2-3 inches. Makes a nice glareshield and looks good.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

I am in the process of figuring this one out as well. Could probably make one, I'm sure the ones out there that can be bought are nice but so are the price tags generally. O and paperwork!
1955 Cessna 170B
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I won this one as a door prize at the very first 170 Convention I attended (Blakesburg, IA, 1985). It was manufactured and STC'd (SA152NW) by now-deceased member Bob Schroers. The picture isn't very good, but the glareshield is aluminum sheet covered with padding and vinyl, with lights and extra padding installed on the overhang. It's attached by two sheet metal screws through the boot cowl.
InstrumentPanel99pctDone.jpg
This photo shows how the forward edge fits along the windshield (and also shows some of the 30+ years of wear and tear).
image6.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

What a coincidence! I just removed the Selkirk fiberglass version from my '48 C170. It's in good condition, trimmed and ready to install. Available at 60% of new + shipping.
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

48RagwingPilot wrote:What a coincidence! I just removed the Selkirk fiberglass version from my '48 C170. It's in good condition, trimmed and ready to install. Available at 60% of new + shipping.

PM sent to you
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

STC?
How is this not a weekend project with some cardboard for a template?
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

A stiff piece of cardboard was used to make a template and then a piece of Lexan was used and a lip was formed using a metal folder. Foam 3/8 was stuck to the Lexan and then vinyl was stuck over that . Some LED red strip lighting was glued to the under side . Total cost was about 30 dollars and done on a very wet day. Lexan was used as it didn't upset my compass and no compass swing was required. The panel is held to the top of the instrument panel by 2 aluminium screws .
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Apparently I too have the Bob Shoers glare shield.

It makes the entire instrument panel look wonderful.

Integral lighting with a dimmer switch.

Remember padded dashboards of autos 1970s.

Great design.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I won this one as a door prize at the very first 170 Convention I attended (Blakesburg, IA, 1985). It was manufactured and STC'd (SA152NW) by now-deceased member Bob Schroers. The picture isn't very good, but the glareshield is aluminum sheet covered with padding and vinyl, with lights and extra padding installed on the overhang. It's attached by two sheet metal screws through the boot cowl.
Miles: Do you still have the installation instructions for your Schroers' Glareshield? I'm remanufacturing one off a C-170A to fit my B, and curious how the wiring was supposed to be run down to switch panel.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
mit

Post by mit »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I won this one as a door prize at the very first 170 Convention I attended (Blakesburg, IA, 1985). It was manufactured and STC'd (SA152NW) by now-deceased member Bob Schroers. The picture isn't very good, but the glareshield is aluminum sheet covered with padding and vinyl, with lights and extra padding installed on the overhang. It's attached by two sheet metal screws through the boot cowl.
InstrumentPanel99pctDone.jpg
This photo shows how the forward edge fits along the windshield (and also shows some of the 30+ years of wear and tear).
image6.jpg

That is the one I have too.
Tim
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

IA DPE wrote:
Miles: Do you still have the installation instructions for your Schroers' Glareshield? I'm remanufacturing one off a C-170A to fit my B, and curious how the wiring was supposed to be run down to switch panel.
I won that glare shield in 1985 and it rode around loose above the instrument panel until the early 90s when I finally had it made legal (I do very little night flying). I may still have the instructions, but I’m away from home for a couple of weeks so it’ll be early to mid February before I can look. As I recall they are pretty basic and I don’t remember them having any details about routing the wiring. Mine just routes out of the glare shield down between the panel and its support structure. I mounted the switch and rheostat all the way to the right on the instrument panel.
686FE7A5-1E3F-4671-9A65-7BF1626498F5.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne