75th Reunion Celebration group parking at Airventure 2023

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: 75th Reunion Celebration group parking at Airventure 202

Post by DaveF »

We’ll see you there next year, George!

It was great to meet all the 170 owners and see their airplanes.
N8293A

Post by N8293A »

Well, that was as a crazy couple of weeks. We started with Miles and Karen’s convention up in the Soo, Miles seemed to find a way to keep the numerous rain events from occurring during our many enjoyable excursions. Thank you to the Bowen’s and all of the team that pitched in to make another great convention. The party then moved to DePere, Wisconsin where Jay Baeten rolled out the grills and hosted a crowd for dinner and a little hangar camp out. Thank you Jay for the hospitality at the pre-OshKosh rendezvous. Finally I have to mention the crew that put together one of the best type club parking events EAA has ever hosted, Dan Wood, Dave Finemore, Joe and Robin Smothers. These folks facilitated a bunch of Cessna 170 owners, and potential owners, getting together, sharing their experiences, and promoting all of what The International Cessna 170 Association and these forums have to offer. Thanks to George Horn, Steve Grimsley, and Karl Towle who hosted a very well attended forum discussing the history of the Cessna 170, and how our association can benefit those looking to buy one of our great aircraft. We also need to thank all of the volunteers who staffed our 170 tent throughout the entire week. This was a great outreach to educate, inform, and recruit potential new members to the association. Finally, to all of the owners who traveled across North America to bring their aircraft to AirVenture, THANK YOU! It was so great to see so many beautiful examples of the Cessna 170, and to meet many of the people who participate in these forums and be able to put a face to their screen names. Like I said, WOW, what a crazy couple of weeks. Let’s do it again.
Steve McGreevy
N8293A '53 C170B
DWood

Post by DWood »

Hope everyone had a great time.
Special thanks to Dave FInamore, Joe Smothers, Karl Towle, the VAA Volunteers, and everyone that attended. It is always good to see old and new friends.
The latest report was 125 C-170s in the group parking and several others on the field.
Looks like 2 170s won awards.
https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airv ... 9uEmljd558
redacted

Post by redacted »

The numbers are out. https://www.flyingmag.com/airventure-20 ... e-numbers/

Just the 170s there for the reunion, not counting the ones parked scattered around, made up 8.3% of the vintage aircraft Available for viewing.
Nathaniel Perlman
1952 170B
N2282D S/N 20434
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

I too would like to echo thanks to all the dedicated folks who together made our Annual Convention, and the 75th Anniversary celebration at OSH that followed, both rousing successes! If my count is correct, we are welcoming 25 new or returning (3) members into our Association. Also, during OSH, we received permission to post to our web site, a .PDF file containing the Mar/Apr 2023 issue of Vintange Airplane. It is available in the public side of our site, under 'About' | History of the C170. Here's a direct link: https://cessna170.org/wp-content/upload ... r_2023.pdf Page 52 of that .PDF is where you'll find articles by our own historian, Steve Grimsley.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N8293A wrote:… Finally I have to mention the crew that put together one of the best type club parking events EAA has ever hosted, Dan Wood, Dave Finemore, Joe and Robin Smothers. These folks facilitated a bunch of Cessna 170 owners, and potential owners, getting together, sharing their experiences, and promoting all of what The International Cessna 170 Association and these forums have to offer. Thanks to George Horn, Steve Grimsley, and Karl Towle who hosted a very well attended forum discussing the history of the Cessna 170, and how our association can benefit those looking to buy one of our great aircraft. ...
There’s at least one of those “potential” owners (and new TIC170A member) who is no longer potential. He came to Airport Day at Sault Ste Marie, then found a 170 he liked at the Oshkosh renunion. Then last Friday he got his first 170 experience in ‘98C including one each takeoff and landing (his exact quote: “I’m about to pull the trigger on a 170, so I think I should at least ride in one first.”), then Tuesday this week bought it and had it flown home.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne