Crankshaft Rust

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Flywheel

Crankshaft Rust

Post by Flywheel »

A&P says (In connection with a Continental O200 top overhaul) the crankshaft has too much rust between engine housing and propeller (outside engine).
I'm thinking the crankshaft diameter reduction and strength reduction from rust is less than 1% and irregular distributed over the length and diameter.
The design strength of the crankshaft has likely a 50 % safety factor. So there should be no problem.

Here are the photos:
http://hc-research.com/Continental.html

What do you think?
n2582d

Re: Crankshaft Rust

Post by n2582d »

SB09-14, Crankshaft Corrosion Treatment

From the Continental Standard Practice Maintenance Manual Chapter 6-4.6 § 9:
Inspect the exposed area of the crankshaft between the crankshaft nose oil seal and the propeller flange for evidence of corrosion. If corrosion is detected, use a Scotch- Brite® pad and a no-corrosive soap solution to remove surface corrosion.
CAUTION: Adequately mask the prop flange bolt holes and the forward prop contact surface to prevent paint damage to nut/washer bearing surfaces.
a. If the cleaning process eliminated the corrosion and no evidence of pitting exists, apply a single coat of high performance rust preventive acrylic enamel (designed for steel), minimal thickness required for coverage, not on load bearing surfaces according to the paint manufacturer’s instructions to the exposed portion of the crankshaft to prevent further corrosion.
b. If cleaning is unsuccessful (suspected corrosion has advanced to pitting), disassemble the engine and replace the crankshaft.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

shss-shss-shss-shss-shss (nationwide sound of rustling-feet toward hangars)

Steve Grimsley dropped a crankshaft off at my hangar last year for my use as a “teaching tool”. It had failed this very inspection process. (I just don’t care to fly that much dead weight all the way to convention….and back… and Jamie wanted to bring her hair-brush instead.) Anyone need a $7K boat anchor..??
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Crocus cloth, to remove the surface rust, then you will be able to see what you have in terms of real pitting. Doesn’t look real good from the pics, clean it up and maybe you can post. I have a 8 bolt crank for an 0-300 and although it looks good, (no corrosion, dials good) I fear it will fail due to a wear groove from the front crankcase oil seal. Stuff you really don’t think about, but that 25 years since overhaul can turn pliable rubber hard, add some dust and it turns into a cutter.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Flywheel wrote:A&P says (In connection with a Continental O200 top overhaul) the crankshaft has too much rust between engine housing and propeller (outside engine).
I'm thinking the crankshaft diameter reduction and strength reduction from rust is less than 1% and irregular distributed over the length and diameter.
The design strength of the crankshaft has likely a 50 % safety factor. So there should be no problem.

Here are the photos:
http://hc-research.com/Continental.html

What do you think?
It would be a mistake to ignore the possibility of stress-risers on highly stressed parts such as crankshafts. :wink:
Ragwing S/N 18073
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Maybe I should walk back what I thought I had and maybe listen to myself :D So thought I’d post a pic, initially the groove could be felt by a fingernail but after giving it a scrub with scotchbright (green) it looks better.
o.
IMG_2944.jpeg
A close up does show a few pits on the inside side of the oil seal but I believe they can be polished out or at least I hope so
IMG_2945.jpeg
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Since we often machine undersize crankshafts .010-.020 without penalty….. I wonder why this area of the crank cannot be similarly..??
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Flywheel

Post by Flywheel »

I'll try to use Scotch- Brite® pad and see if I can clear it up.

I feel the torque load is not as high as in a car (unless you have a prop strike).
In a car, if you hit the brakes at full power, there would be much more torque.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Flywheel wrote:
I feel the torque load is not as high as in a car (unless you have a prop strike).
Perhaps.
But the gyroscopic loads are much higher. 8O
Ragwing S/N 18073