Twenty-Two Years

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Twenty-Two Years

Post by GAHorn »

It’s hard to believe it’s been 22 years since Sept.11, 2001.

How to watch 9/11 memorial events

What: Ceremony marks 22 years since 9/11
Date: Monday, Sept. 11, 2023
Time: 8:25 a.m. ET
Online stream: Live on CBS News New York in the player above and on your mobile or streaming device.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Twenty-Two Years

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I took note of 60 minutes (TV show) last night with 9/11 events and like most other years, bang it hits me, it is 9/11 again.

I've told this story before.

22 years, seems like yesterday I was sitting in a helicopter over Red Bank New Jersey looking at the towers as the first plane hit. I wondered what that odd smoke was coming from the tower. I was talking to Charlie, a partner owner of the helicopter in the front seat and the rest of the helicopter was filled with 5 more paying passengers on their commute to NYC for work. As we got closer the helicopter got pretty quiet inside. I have good reason to believe that my helicopter was the first to pass the tower after it was hit from the north. From the south there was smoke and paper in the air. As we passed to the north side to land at West 30th St Heliport I looked back for a second and could clearly see the gapping airplane shape hole in the north side. As I thought I saw the plane hit at about a 75 degree right bank with most if not all of it disappearing into the building.

My passengers got out at West 30th and though low on fuel I elected to immediately leave and fly south back past the towers climbing to 1000 ft and turning right in front of the Statue of Liberty to pass over Neward and land at Linden Airport. I had just asked for and received clearance through Newark airspace when a friend of mine flying Chopper 12, which had arrived on the scene, blared out on Newarks frequency, "tower a second airplane just hit the second tower". The tower controller rogered his transmission like it was an every day occurrence and continued to rattle off clearances.

I landed at Linden within moments and for the first time looked back at both towers and the mass of smoke and paper blowing in the air. For the life of me I could not figure out what could happen the not just one plane but two would fly into these buildings. I was probably a little shocked that the second plane hit right behind me. I never saw it.

A short while later after the Pentagon was hit. I told the boss I was going home. Went out got into my 170 and taxied to the end of the runway. As I advanced the throttle to take off police cars where entering the airport property with lights and sirens going to shut down the airport. But I'd unknowingly beat them of the ground. I didn't turn on the radio till I was away from NYC airspace. There was no requirement to do so. When I did it was pretty quiet other than planes landing at Newark. There were no departures.

Mod Note: For any readers that may have caught this post earlier today, it was posted by Howard Bohl. Well it really wasn't, it was posted by me however I had been helping Howard with forum difficulties and had assumed his ID for testing. Didn't realize I was still logged in as Howard when I posted the story the first time. Sorry Howard -Bruce F.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Knew Howard was talented, but thought, gee can Howard really fly everything? Good one Bruce.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wonder if Howard felt anything strange while this went on…
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)