Higher oil temps with Phillips XC20W50 ?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BrianW

Higher oil temps with Phillips XC20W50 ?

Post by BrianW »

I've switched to using XC20W50 because I fly over 150 hours/year, and the temps where I fly vary a lot. My last trip from Michigan to Arizona, I had temps in the low 30s up to 90s. One downside I've noticed, it it seems to have higher oil temps than when running 100W. The temp gauge was almost in the yellow on a day that was only 75 degrees at the altitude I was flying. Worried it would probably be in the red on a hot day. I did recently put on the spin on oil filter adapter, and didn't move the blast tube (Maybe I should?). So far the temps have remained in the green, but sometimes at the very top of it. Any suggestions ?
GAHorn

Re: Higher oil temps with Phillips XC20W50 ?

Post by GAHorn »

Sooo…you’ve made TWO changes then…?? Oil type AND spin on filter?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bjan11

Post by bjan11 »

I would be much more suspicious of your new oil filter adapter than the oil. I wonder if something isn't flowing right, and that's preventing oil from flowing through the filter (/cooler, if you have one).
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Had a similar issue ,but was using Exxon 100w and switched over Phillips multi grade. I couldn’t change the direction of the blast tube and purchased a finned heat sink that attaches to the spin on filter. This clamped around the filter. I purchased it off Spruce. I was too minds about changing over the oil type due to the age of the engine as I was now using a detergent type oil. However the sump had been removed and cleaned and other engine work had been done . engine oil temperature was now satisfactory. [ PS. I am now NOT a fan of Exxon oils.]
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bjan11 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:33 pm I would be much more suspicious of your new oil filter adapter than the oil. I wonder if something isn't flowing right, and that's preventing oil from flowing through the filter (/cooler, if you have one).
I cannot imagine how oil would not flow thru that filter. If, for some reason that were to occur, then there’d be no oil pressure indication. (The pressurized oil route is the same whether a filter or the OEM screen is used.
IMG_2302.jpeg
When I had a Baron I ran an experiment in which I switched one engine over to AeroShell 15W50 from the 100W I’d been running in both engines. The engine with the 15W50 ran slightly warmer and leaked a LOT more than it did previously. I switched back to straight 50 wt oil.

If you want to see if it’s the oil or the filter adaptor modification…. switch the oil back to what you were previously using and see.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)