Wheel Pant Brackets

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dbarron

Wheel Pant Brackets

Post by dbarron »

I have an original set of wheel pants to put on my 170 but I also have Cleveland brakes... Is anyone making or modifying wheel pant brakets to accompany Clevelands? I dont want to cut up my wheel pants any too badly.
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Wheel Pant Brackets

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

We may have a template in our library that you could use to modify your brackets. These are not available electronically yet so I'll look tonight and report back.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

This is a tracing by member Harold Haliman of his bracket for a double puck brake system. Unfortunately there isn't a scale or dimensions so that you can ensure you print it out at the correct size.

I took the liberty to superimpose a scale drawing of a Cleveland 30-63A single puck caliper on the the drawing for two purposes. One to check the scale and distortion in Harold's tracing and another to show that the cut out in the bracket can be a bit smaller if you have this single puck brake caliper. I think this may have some value as a guide to what has to be done but with so many possibilities of distortion between the tracing, the scanning and your printing, I wouldn't use it as a honest true outline.
Wheel Pant bracket.jpg
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The above plates were not 170....Harold had a 180......although technically they should fit.

My wheel pants/brackets are "original" as produced by Cessna for Cleveland brakes. (They were produced as part of the club order arranged by Tom Hall when he was Parts/MX coordinator, and mounted on 600 X 6 wheels/tires.) They do not resemble Harold's bracket very much. The single puck Cleveland caliper sits much lower on the mounting plates, aft of the axle. I'll try to take a pic this weekend and post.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

The above pic is quite a bit differently shaped than my brackets..? Mine are very rounded in comparison. I didnt know if anyone was making or altering the brackets already, but if need be, we can for sure modify ours and make new.
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
RickG

Post by RickG »

dbarron wrote:The above pic is quite a bit differently shaped than my brackets..? Mine are very rounded in comparison.
Just a wild guess ... but if they look like this there is a pair on eBay available here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Pant-Mounting-Plates-/x
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those Ejunk mount plates are NOT for 170s.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

Since a lot of 170's have 180 gear legs, would not my backing plates be the correct backing plates to use on a 170 equipped with 180 legs? How about 170 legs with double puck Cleveland brakes?
Harold Holiman
Member # 893 (11/73)
Past Director, TIC170A
Former Owner of;
C170A N9027A
C172N N1764V
C180 N92CP
N1313D

Post by N1313D »

I’m looking for a drawing or template to produce Wheel Pant Backplates for a 1954 C170B. Have the wheel pants, cannot find mounting plates. I saw the above tracing of the associated C180 parts.

Thanks,

Bear
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1313D wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:33 pm I’m looking for a drawing or template to produce Wheel Pant Backplates for a 1954 C170B. Have the wheel pants, cannot find mounting plates. I saw the above tracing of the associated C180 parts.

Thanks,

Bear
I have a set of “junk” mounting plates I would submit for copying…. in exchange for two extra sets in return.
N1313D

Post by N1313D »

Thanks Mr Horne, I’ll check with my A&P and see if we can do that. I found a set but the angle looks off to me among other things when I placed it next to one of the fenders today.
IMG_7576.jpeg