C170B Pilot's seat VERY hard to slide fore-aft

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Tailwheel

C170B Pilot's seat VERY hard to slide fore-aft

Post by Tailwheel »

Hello all,

There's a huge amount of friction involved in moving the pilot's seat fore-aft. To a far lesser extent, this is also the case for the copilot's seat. I don't believe it's a problem with the raising the pins out of their sockets, it seems to be some other issue.

Anyone know why this might be and how to alleviate it?

Thanks!

Matt
Base: Most BOS Satellites
Eqpm't: Regularly flying BE20, BE9L, BE58, BE55, RV10 and, yes, the C170B as well....
gfeher

Re: C170B Pilot's seat VERY hard to slide fore-aft

Post by gfeher »

Check the rollers. One or more of them could be stuck or out-of-round. Also check the cages that house the rollers. Perhaps one of them is rubbing against the rail.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

Thanks Gene,

I'll give them a look-see next time I'm at the hangar!

Matt
Eqpm't: Regularly flying BE20, BE9L, BE58, BE55, RV10 and, yes, the C170B as well....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WD-40 on the rollers will help immensely…. and one reason rollers sometimes “jam” is when carpet threads are rolled-up and “wrapped around the axle” Sometimes it’s necessary to remove the seat from the airplane, turn it upside-down, and Clean the Rollers and Lubricate them. Light machine oil (such as a drop of 3-in-One oil) lasts longer than my personal favorite WD40. Just don’t “over-do” it and you’ll be fine.

An “Old Timer” I know loves to recommend “Gulf Wax” (paraffin) rubbed on his seat tracks. I’ve not tried it…but it shouldn’t hurt a thing.

There’s an oft- misunderstood method of manipulation of the seats which can give the “impression” of hard-to-adjust/slide the seats on the rails…

Example: One wishes to slide the seat AFT ..but it refuses to glide: Is your BACK pressing against the SEAT-BACK..? If so… that raises the front rollers OFF the rail…but it also presses the seat-frame roller-bracket “ears” against the bottom edge of the rails creating Friction..preventing easy movement.

Example 2: One wishes to slide the seat FORWARD …but it refuses to glide: Is your BACK still pressing against the Seat-Back…? If so… the weight of the seat and it’s occupant is not resting EQually upon the rollers…

Technique: When moving the seat FWD or AFT…. be certain you are Not Leaning Back into the seat-back…and are sitting squarely upon the seat CUSHION… placing your weight more evenly upon all Four Rollers.

Additional Hints: Do NOT raise the Seat-Latch-Lever and then (when the seat is positioned where you desire ti) ..Do NOT simply allow the Latch and the Associated PIN to SLAM down into a Rail-Hole as the Pin FINDS it. This places undue WEAR on the rail holes as the pin approaches the edge of the hole and “rounds” the edges of the hole…thereby wearing it out. A better method is to hang-onto the handle and when the seat is properly positioned….let the handle down GENTLY to “seek out” the hole before completely releasing the handle.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

It's never a bad time to remove your seats and carefully inspect them and the rails. Of course, this should be done annually in compliance with AD2011-10-09, but seat frames and rails can get bent, rollers can get worn and stuck, etc...The problem can usually be identified by carefully watching the seat go back and forth on the rails. Carpet is often the culprit, but the rollers should be evaluated for wear and lubed, and the roller housing tangs inspected for binding on the side and bottom of the rail. If all else fails, remove the seat and place it on a flat surface to see if all four feet are close to level. Also place a straight edge lengthwise along the rails to be sure they are straight.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

AD 2011-10-09 (g)(4)(iii):
Do not lubricate the rollers, washers, or axles because the lubricant will attract dust and
other particles that may cause binding.
McFarlane “rollers are fabricated from molydisulfide filled nylon for improved strength and self-lubrication.”

Here's a short article on how to check seat rollers.
Gary
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

The rollers on my seats are in good shape and roll freely but I still found there was some excess drag when moving fore and aft. I rubbed some paraffin wax (sparingly) along the sides and top of the seat rails (per the 100 Series Service Manual) where the seat guides ride along it. I can't say they move drag-free but there was a noticeable change in ease of motion. The wax does have to be reapplied periodically.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Despite the AD note instruction to “not lubricate” the seal rollers….. I suggest to follow that instruction When Complying with that AD Note.

But when following the Cessna Lubrication Chart during 100 hr inspections… Cessna lubrication instructions contained in the service manual states “ Lubricate unsealed ….bearings, hinges joints, and any other friction point…with with General Purpose Oil…” This has worked for me on the seat rollers for 30+ years of Cessna ownership. <edit> However, I can understand how excessive oil can attract dust/dirt to impart friction-producing wear upon their seat rollers and rails, and an owner not wishing to lubricate them. I have not had that issue. YMMV

The 100 Series Service Manual, Section 3:23 “…. Paraffin wax rubbed on seat rails will ease sliding the front seats fore and aft.”
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cessnut

Post by cessnut »

Okay, apply some anti-friction compound that does not attract dust. Not sure why I would install the McFarlane rolllers when the Cessna original rollers are still available at Textron.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are “dry lube” products that may be useful in this area.
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

n2582d wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:04 am AD 2011-10-09 (g)(4)(iii):
Do not lubricate the rollers, washers, or axles because the lubricant will attract dust and
other particles that may cause binding.
McFarlane “rollers are fabricated from molydisulfide filled nylon for improved strength and self-lubrication.”

Here's a short article on how to check seat rollers.
Wow, I was about to lube the hell out of the rollers. Thanks for that!
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

Thanks all, that's great advice. I'll post back with results.

Matt
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For those who seek a dry-moly type lubricant: https://www.amazon.com/BIRCHWOOD-Lubric ... 0aWM&psc=1
IMG_2475.jpeg
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Service the rollers. Bees wax or Parafin wax on tracks. old timer here. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
mit

Post by mit »

Make sure your diagonal braces are not bent that will put the feet in a bind on the tracks.
Tim