Corrosion on Crankshaft

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ceveland

Corrosion on Crankshaft

Post by Ceveland »

Does any know if there is an acceptable limit for corrosion on C-145 crankshaft prop flange?

I am looking at buying an engine to overhaul but it has corrosion on the flange and I can not find any info in the overhaul manual that address this. So I am assuming it’s bad.

Does anybody have a crankshaft for sale?
n2582d

Re: Corrosion on Crankshaft

Post by n2582d »

I haven't seen any criteria for the maximum allowable corrosion/pitting on the crankshaft flange itself. See this thread for information on corrosion between the flange and the oil seal. Where does the flange begin? At the O.D. of the crank-flange radius or at the I.D.?
Gary
Ceveland

Post by Ceveland »

That’s what I was afraid of. This crankshaft has pitting in the face of the flange where the prop bolts on to it. Scotch Bright will not be enough to remove it.

I was hoping that maybe it could be removed and replayed. I saw this on one of the repair facility description of crank shaft repairs. But is was engine specific. Still waiting on response from them.

Thank you for your input.
TCU76109

Post by TCU76109 »

Aircraft Specialties has approval to rework the oil seal area of some crankshafts. I’d contact them first to ask the question. Additionally, you could call AEA in Dallas, Western Skyways, and Airworx.