TX Solar Eclipse Fly-in Apr. 6-8

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170ken

TX Solar Eclipse Fly-in Apr. 6-8

Post by c170ken »

Texas Eclipse Fly-In
April 6-8, 2024

This is limited to Int’l C-170 Assoc’n Members and their Guests Only. See the listing in Members Intercom. viewtopic.php?t=16738
GAHorn

Re: TX Solar Eclipse Fly-in Apr. 6-8

Post by GAHorn »

IF…you are considering coming to the Flying X Ranch Solar Eclipse event….. PLEASE RSVP ASAP!

The Central Texas counties are ALL being cautioned that the large expected attendance from visitors outside the area will SWAMP grocery stores, public services, Etc etc….

I cannot wait until the Last Minute to purchase grocery and other supplies without fear of empty shelves.

EMAIL me with your RSVP…. the SOONER the BETTER!

IMPORTANT: READ the following link for details of how to attend: viewtopic.php?t=16738

Thank you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I had not anticipated that my Runway Lighting would activate and my WindSock Spotlight would illuminate during the Total Darkness. :lol:

Here’s a shot of the SOLAR FLARE which occurred during the Total Eclipse…. (We had a great turn-out and a Fantastic View as the Weather cleared EXACTLY at the Right Moments!
Click to ENLARGE
Click to ENLARGE
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

Beautiful Shot! Hope you had a great event.
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Glad to hear of the good turnout. That's a nice shot.

As the eclipse passed over us I was exiting my optometrists office with my eyes fully dilated. I wished it had gotten that dark here but it hadn't and wasn't going to. It was overcast and for the most part we could not see the sun though I wasn't looking. Thought about you all in Texas though wondering how it was going.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:00 am Glad to hear of the good turnout. That's a nice shot.

As the eclipse passed over us I was exiting my optometrists office with my eyes fully dilated. I wished it had gotten that dark here but it hadn't and wasn't going to. It was overcast and for the most part we could not see the sun though I wasn't looking. Thought about you all in Texas though wondering how it was going.
Most attended via drive-in due to wx predictions. We had 3 fly in, Karl Towle stayed two nights, Darryl Schiller, and Charlie and Beverly Ross flew in for the day. Ken Peck brought his family and camped out. Wendell and Sheila Wyborny in their Airstream, and Pete and Judy Coffee stayed in one of our guest rooms. Don and Cathy Lewis are friends from StPaul in their RV. Many family members, of course. We set up tables/chairs in the hangar that served as the continuous meeting/eating area where we had ice chests of drinks and table snacks, continuous coffee, and breakfasts of pancakes/sausages and orange juice/milk/coffee, lunches of sandwiches and burgers, and dinners of potato salad, bbq beans, salads, and a long list of pudding and cake desserts courtesy of Sheila. Sat nite was smoked chicken and Sun nite was pork ribs, produced on the oak-fired smoker. I don’t think anyone went hungry.

tank converted smoker
tank converted smoker
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Last weekend, we had our Texas April C170 fly-in hosted by George and Jamie Horn, at their beautiful airstrip near Spicewood, Texas, just west of Austin. This event was even more special as it was planned to expand into an extended weekend getaway culminating in a solar eclipse party. As it turned out, Saturday morning was not an ideal day for flying, especially starting anyplace north. Low ceilings limited altitude choices, and 35kt southerly winds kept the ground speeds barely competitive with Interstate travelers. However, the weather Saturday afternoon, was quite enjoyable. Nights were spent in guest rooms, various RVs, and even tents. Meals were a fantastic selection of pancakes & sausage breakfasts, sandwiches or hamburger lunches, and smoked chicken then rib dinners. If anyone went hungry, it was definitely their own fault. Sunday gave us some really nice clear skies, while Monday followed with layers of cloud cover that threatened to spoil our view of the eclipse. We got in some local flying and airplane rides in the morning, and it turned out that we were still able to enjoy some great views of the eclipse as the clouds would intermittently part and let the dimming sun peak through. A huge thank you to George and Jamie for their exceptional planning, generous hospitality, culminating in a great extended weekend.
Cuzy.jpg
Cuzys for the occasion, plus eclipse safe glasses
SolarGlasses.jpg
GoingIn.jpg
Glasses over cell phone lens - going into the eclipse
Full.jpg
Full eclipse
FullLowLightSockLit.jpg
Full eclipse - windsock light has turned on. Camera works amazingly well in low light. it was much darker than this looks.
ComingOut.jpg
Coming out of the eclipse.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’d like to mention that Member Patrick Bramlett (AL) contributed the Solar Glasses. Thank You!

(But Patrick, you might want to mention to your supplier they’re combustible and not too durable for welding…. had to resort to other means…)
IMG_2646.jpeg
IMG_2646.jpeg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 350 times
IMG_2647.jpeg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let me Add that our own Bruce Fenstermacher contributed a set of his “MouseTrap” springs-kit to the Fly-In as a “door prize” offering. :P

Unfortunately, due to weather, few airplanes flew in…and none of those that did needed such a kit. :cry:

The kit will be brought to the KY convention and anyone interested can haggle over them at the auction.

THANK YOU BRUCE ….for your generous offer and contribution to the Fly In! :)