One more trip with my 170B ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170dreams

Re: One more trip with my 170B ?

Post by 170dreams »

With spring comes the desire to fly.

https://youtu.be/seNoaMEEu50

Yes, it's spring here in the Pyrenees, near the border between France and Spain.

Today I came to this small airfield to visit my soaring friends who have come from Germany to start the gliding season a little earlier than is possible further up north. It's a beautiful place surrounded by magnificent landscape. Situated in a wide valley it is perfect for soaring.

Whenever I look at the gliders and talk to my friends and listen to their stories about how far and high they have flown, I feel a strong longing to fly myself. And when I say "fly myself," I mean to travel to Boston, reunite with my Cessna 170 and fly Whiskyblue down to Florida to Sun 'n Fun. I sure hope to see the same beautiful clouds and sky when I get there.

Travel along with me on my youtube channel and I'll see you down there.
JimNelson

Post by JimNelson »

Nice video, and thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to following your adventures. You're in some really beautiful countryside.
1950 170A
N9955A s/n 19315
170dreams

Post by 170dreams »

How to pack for my trip.

https://youtu.be/D5ZUFoaGCiw

As my trip to Sun 'n Fun gets closer and closer, I'm starting to think about what camping gear I'm going to take and how to pack and organize it.
On my trip to Florida and back to Boston, I'll be on the road for about 6 or 7 days, but I'll still be taking pretty much the same camping gear I had on my 5-week camping-under-the-wing trip last fall. Camping isn't much different, whether you're traveling for one night or a month, you always need a tent, sleeping bag, lights…
What did I use to pack on my adventure trip and what were my experiences?
I used the "Tough Storage Tote" from Home Depot to pack and organize all my stuff. They come in different sizes and are quite inexpensive. I really liked them, they worked well for me. I had three 17-gal totes and three 12-gal totes.
They are stackable, so you can easily place them in the cabin so that the important things are the quickest to reach.
They are really sturdy! I once used two of them to support the rear of the fuselage of my 170 when I had to change the tail wheel tube.
I used ROK straps to attach them to the fittings and D-rings I have in various places in the cabin. It's easy and works well because the bins have channels on the lids to tie them down.
They also have oval holes that you can put a padlock through if you want to lock them.
Everything I take with me is divided into camping equipment, cooking and eating utensils, airplane accessories, snacks, etc. and is packed in different, appropriately labeled bins.
The 17-gal bins are 18 inches wide, so two of them fit nicely side by side behind the seats in the 40-inch-wide 170 cabin, and when filled, their weight is still quite manageable, and I can put them in and take them out without much huffing and puffing.

Looking forward to packing up.
170dreams

Post by 170dreams »

https://youtu.be/D5ZUFoaGCiw

A few thoughts on camping and what equipment I will be bringing to Sun 'n Fun.
I've been camping on and off for decades, so I have the necessary gear.

But there is camping and there is airplane camping, which requires a slightly different approach with more emphasis on weight and size of gear.
I also pack differently depending on whether I'm only staying one or two nights, like on a “road” trip, or up to a week at an event like Oshkosh.

Take my chair for example. It's a foldable chair from Northface, light and small to pack. For an evening or two in front of the fireplace, it's fine. But for three or four days of sitting under the wing or next to the airplane, where I want to get up and talk to people and then sit down again, it's too low and not comfortable enough.
In my search for a better chair, I started thinking about criteria for selecting equipment for airplane camping.
I think it boils down to size and weight, comfort and economy or price. Pick two - as in all other lists of three criteria.
In the case of my new chair, I would choose comfort and price. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm only going to use for a short time.

On the other hand, I followed a recommendation and bought the high-tech Nemo sleeping pad, which is really light, packs very small and is comfortable. I used it on my 5-week adventure trip and slept really well.
This obviously falls into the size and weight and comfort categories, not so much the economy category.

The tent I take with me is the Marmot Limelight 3P tent, which suits my solo camping style very well. It offers plenty of space for me and my gear, easy access through two doors, extra storage space in the two vestibules and excellent overall quality.
I've filed it under comfort and economy as it's quite reasonably priced.

I use a Jetboil stove to heat up Mountain House meals. It sits on a small foldable table from BigAgnes. I don't need any additional cooking utensils for this rather short trip.
As for sleeping bag, pillow, light, etc., I don't have anything fancy as I don't go camping in winter with long, cold nights.

I'm not an expert on airplane camping, and it may be that I've gotten so used to my gear that my habits have kept me from trying something new.
If you use better gear and would recommend I try it, let me know in the comments. I'm very interested in learning from others and their experiences.
170dreams

Post by 170dreams »

Sun 'n Fun is not backcountry camping.

https://youtu.be/47htApLuzx4

As I began to prepare for my trip to Sun 'n fun, I quickly realized that this trip was going to be very different from my adventures in the backcountry. Here is what I mean by that.

On my first round trip through the eastern US in my Cessna 170B four years ago, I would pick places to refuel and camp rather spontaneously, and since I always landed at small airports or grass strips, I was usually the only one in the pattern when I got there, and that was during peak tourist season.

On my backcountry adventure last fall my objective was to visit some of those famous spots out west in Montana, Idaho and Utah that attract a lot of pilots. But since I got there after Labor Day, the crowds had already finished their flying vacations.
Not that I was completely alone, one or two planes visited for an hour or two, another one stayed for the night, but it was always relaxed.
There was no pressure to arrive or depart at a certain time or tie down at a predetermined spot.

Sun 'n Fun will be the exact opposite.

I want to arrive at a certain hour and will most likely be one of many planes approaching at the same time. But with an active scan and the help of ADSB-in, I should be able to see most of them.

I also won't have the entire pattern to myself, but will have to follow other planes on a well-defined approach procedure long before I even get close to the pattern or downwind.

Instead of a lone deer, many experts will be watching my landing or my go-around in case a gusty crosswind catches me on short final or in the flare. When I imagine all this, I feel a nervous twitch in my stomach.

Of course, this subsides when I watch the FAA video on VFR approach procedures again. It's all doable, actually quite simple.

And then there's the hive of Sun ’n Fun, the crowds and the dynamics of a big fly-in and air show.
I love that, too. I’ll see interesting airplanes, catch up on the latest gadgets, meet lots of pilots, make new friends and show Whiskyblue to anyone who wants to know more about my bird.

After all, she is for sale.

But instead of pitching my tent under fir trees or in deep canyons, I’ll be staying at Vintage Camping.

Stop by and say hello.
170dreams

Post by 170dreams »

https://youtu.be/jyr3m0GKQ_8

What do an MT prop, the sportsman cuff and vortex generators have in common? Well they all were big players during the 5 week trip in my Cessna 170 last fall.
Let me tell you why.
If you were to ask me today if there was anything during my adventure that really exceeded my expectations, that somehow surprised me, I would say it was the fact that I got to land and camp in some really beautiful places.. Schafer Meadows in Montana, Moose Creek in Idaho, and Mexican Mountain in Utah were all on my list of must-see places, but would I be able to land and take off there safely?
I checked them out and ended up camping at all of these places.

Yes, I was lucky as far as the weather was concerned.
However, at least as important as wind and visibility were some of the upgrades and modifications to Whiskeyblue to get into and out of these locations safely.

Take the sportsman cuff with vortex generators, for example. Really slow approaches with a wide margin of safety and excellent control all the way to touchdown made the landings safe for me without having hundreds of hours of experience with a Cessna wing.
Kudos to Stene Aviation @stenestol and Micro AeroDynamics @micro_aerodynamics .

On takeoff and climb, it was the MT propeller on an O-360 that took away all my worries and put a big smile on my face every time I pushed the throttle forward.

So there are the three main protagonists of my trip.

I really love them. So I called the three companies and told them how much I liked them and their stuff and asked them if there was a way to give back some of my good vibes with their products.
Of course, they said, we really like you as a customer and would love to support you.
So McFarlane @mcfarlane_aviation and Flight Resource @flightresourceprops , for example, gave me a big banner and some swag.

Now you know where to find me on Vintage Camping.

Stop by and we can talk about my experience with the MT prop or about Willie Stene’s sportsman cuff and the Micro AeroDynamics vortex generators.These are interesting mods and I love to talk about them.

Looking forward to meeting you at Sun’n Fun.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not to be “too critical”…..but if you are ..”without having hundreds of hours of experience with a Cessna wing…” How can you believe your
comparison of the STOL Kit your airplane has…. can compare to the unmodified airplane…?…. Especially with an Aftermarket Engine … AND Aftermarket Propeller..??

The original 170 can already get into places too short to take off again….(unless more horsepower is installed…in which case it’s no longer an original airplane….

My point is: That an airplane which has shorter landing capabilities than takeoff capabilities…. isn’t likely in-need of lower stalling speeds… It’s in-need of Horsepower. I believe your O-360 engine…. helped perhaps with the MT Prop (but not necessarily-so)…. is what made those off-airway fields accessible for your airplane.

I find the original Cessna all-metal wing is a Fantastic design which Cessna Got Right….from the very beginning…. Proven by many years of many models having the same NACA profile…in-fact…sharing many common parts interchangeably. (Unless that wing is modified after-market)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

The Original Cessna wing is a great design without a doubt. However, the Sportsman STOL is one heck of an improvement. In slow flight, climb and glide it is a real performer. The best glide ratio almost doubled. Not claiming to be an expert at anything but I have flown my 170 for 26 years without the Sportsman and 9 years with it. When I lived in Washington I had a 650' strip at my house and I had a chance to compare the two configurations, lots of difference. Now that I live in Idaho the Sportsman adds a lot of comfort. I think I actually picked up a knot or two in cruise also.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe, I know how you use your ‘plane and I trust and respect your opinion greatly… but glide-ratio Doubled..? Is there any empirical evidence in that regard? That would be a real game-changer.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I know it may sound too good to be true, and I know how they push numbers but they claim it went from 7-1 to 13-1. Best glide speed is 57 mph with the kit. I know if my engine quit I'd be glad I've got it however... 8)