History of a gear collapse

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

anejohn

History of a gear collapse

Post by anejohn »

I recently came across C17OA which was involved in a gear collapse incident some time ago and subsequently returned to service. This one (according to the owner) has all its 337 forms appropriately filed with the FAA as well as logbook entries and signoff’s from both the AI and A&P. I read up from the FAA Care’s site “cares.faa.gov/home” but don’t yet have complete copies of the logs or a Aircraft Registry.
In 2007 a 337 form filed describes a repair and new installation of the forward landing gear bulk head, both forward stringers and fuselage skin installed between the gear legs and rear cabin door. The landing gear was “over hauled” by XP Modifications (no longer in business I believe) and a P-Ponk gear kit was incorporated as part of the repair. A question I have is what does “Overhauling a gear leg mean” and does that apply to both gears as a set? If just one gear is overhauled, could this be considered a problem?
There are additional repairs in 2009 to the gear box, left wing and horizontal stabilizer but with what is described here. Are there some additional items to look for should I find (during a inspection) wrinkles in the aluminum of the fuselage, flexing aluminum in the wing or flexing floor boards under the seats when the either wing is lifted up or down?
In addition, is there a way to tell if the fuselage is still tweaked and how costly is a bent fuselage to repair?
Thanks for reading.
cessnut

Re: History of a gear collapse

Post by cessnut »

XP Mods is still in business and is owned by Tom Anderson, who also owns The Landing Gear Works. A call to him would explain the process of re-arcing and shot peening Cessna gear legs. A high percentage of Cessna taildraggers have had gearbox damage by this point. If properly repaired and documented, not a problem. I suggest finding someone near you who knows these planes well to conduct a thorough inspection.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessnut said it.

If “…. flexing floor boards under the seats when the either wing is lifted up or dow…”. is observed…. Yes.. THAT would be a problem. :?

It sounds as-if you are considering purchasing this airplane. If so, then Only a Full Annual Inspection by an inspector familiar with single-engine Cessnas will determine it’s airworthiness. Don’t try to “cheap out” on so-called “pre-buy-inspections”. You want a FULL ANNUAL INSPECTION….not only on THIS airplane…but ANY airplane you wish to buy.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
anejohn

Post by anejohn »

I appreciate your comments to my questions. I wrote Tom Anderson (Landing Gear Works, www.tlgw.aero ) and he was very nice to respond to my questions. On his web sight is a description of the process of the “XP Modification” to the gear as well as other products that are available, tail wheel mod, axial replacements etc. I did manage to take a road trip to see the aircraft and review the log books. I choose to walk away because of its condition, the visible repairs and the extensive damage history. This would be a good example why to get a full Annual Inspection prior to a purchase as recommended.
I do have an additional question regarding replacement axles. In the log I noticed a single axle was replaced with a XP Modification axle but a few years later two aluminum axles were installed. Why aluminum axles and not Steele?

Thanks
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Cessna 170 was originally produced with hollow aluminum axles to save weight. Those axles were prone to cracking where the machining leftstress-risers…so the axles were redesigned with a heavier base area…but those axles also could fail. Cessna produced some solid-aluminum axles (called “ski” axles…which were much better and are recommended as a minimum and a preferred modification.

In later airplanes Cessna produced hollow steel axles….and those are retro-fittable to the 170 if desired. Steel axles are much stronger but also weigh more and are more expensive.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
anejohn

Post by anejohn »

Thanks for your insight, I'm learning more about the C170 after every posted question.