New panel

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JGlad

New panel

Post by JGlad »

I know it’s not a classic 170 panel, but I decided to update mine & it’s been really great (for the 2 days I’ve had it back).
Attachments
IMG_3373.jpeg
Jeff
N1896C '53 170B
GAHorn

Re: New panel

Post by GAHorn »

Pretty work.

Do you have plans for A/S, T&B, and Alt lighting? or is the OEM overhead “glow” system still in use?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

How did you keep the yoke tee and pulleys from hitting the 275s?
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

what sort of Ipad holder are you using. ? You have the same size ipad that i am using.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:09 am what sort of Ipad holder are you using. ? You have the same size ipad that i am using.
That (Ipad on the right side of the cockpit) reminds me of the time as chief pilot I enrolled the entire flight dept into a training session at NASA - Clear Lake (Johnson Space Center) for hyperbaric-chamber and barany-chair training.

One of our VP’s was also a private pilot (owned a Mooney) and he asked if he could be included in the training session …and I included Wallis in that session.

During the classroom instruction regarding spatial disorientation, Wallis volunteered to ride the chair.
The instructor asked him to close his eyes, tilt his head downward while turning his head to the right…. and when Wallis complied….the instructor slowly began to turn or spin the chair counter-clockwise a few turns …doing it so gently that Wallis would be unlikely to realize he was spinning..and no longer stationary. (simulates a moving cockpit)

After a few turns, while still slowly turning the chair, the instructor asked Wallis if he recalled the large clock mounted on the wall in the front of the room ..? …and Wallis replied, “Yes”.

The instructor brought the chair to a standstill….so that Wallis would be facing that large clock…. (which was actually not operating…but was “set” to exactly 3 O’Clock…. Large hand on the numeral 12…small hand on the 3 …..and asked Wallis to open his eyes and tells us the “time” ….

When Wallis raised his head and opened his eyes…he almost Fell Out of the Chair…. then, quickly catching himself….stared Intently at that clock for almost a half minute…..(about as long as it’s taken you to read this paragraph)….. and with a simple clock and his Best Effort…. Wallis COIULD NOT tell us what “time” the clock indicated! 8O

It was Most Impressive as a demonstration as to how a simple head movement in a moving cockpit could almost completely disable an experienced pilot from being able to interpret a SIMPLE AND FAMILIAR Instrument! Spatial Disorientation can completely ruin efforts to interpret airspeed indicators, altimeters, Attitude Indicators… even a simple clock! Imagine how that can affect an unwary pilot operating in instrument conditions. Add a little turbulence to that. 8O

This I-Pad mounting reminded me of the time I was in a left-hand holding pattern while awaiting approach clearance…and after a few left-turns …I glanced over at the Art/Horizon in front of the right seat (‘53 B-model panel) …and became INSTANTLY DRUNK!

I’d be wary of using an I-pad mounted over there while operating under IFR.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JGlad

Post by JGlad »

GAHorn wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:57 am Pretty work.

Do you have plans for A/S, T&B, and Alt lighting? or is the OEM overhead “glow” system still in use?
I’ll leave the old a/s & alt as a back up. T&b primary is in the new stuff, but I did put a back up ball in there because I can’t live with out it. The overhead glow system will stay put. The primary stuff is very well lit up.
Jeff
N1896C '53 170B
JGlad

Post by JGlad »

DaveF wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:07 pm How did you keep the yoke tee and pulleys from hitting the 275s?
The avionics guy placed them in the right spot not to hit the tee. Thai was not my first choice for placement, but it’s the only way it would fit. The most difficult part was putting the 375 & radio in the upper left section. It was closer than I thought it would be.
Jeff
N1896C '53 170B
JGlad

Post by JGlad »

ghostflyer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 5:09 am what sort of Ipad holder are you using. ? You have the same size ipad that i am using.
It’s the ram suction cup mount for iPad.
Jeff
N1896C '53 170B
JGlad

Post by JGlad »

George, I love that story! I’ve had similar things happen to me as well, love/hate that chamber! I fly IMC for work what feels like everyday. If this 170 gets into IMC, I have failed miserably & something went very wrong..lol. It’s a very capable VFR only aircraft. You are right though, even VMC, if I look too long at that iPad, I get a little screwy (more screwy than usual).

Guess I could have replied to everyone in one message, sorry for the many messages.

Edited to use the correct name... I am so sorry!!!
Last edited by JGlad on Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
N1896C '53 170B
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I have been hit a big one . I have 2 G5,s and the both batteries have now deceased. Garmin doesn’t want to know about it . They are 28 months old . After now finding out that there was a recall on these batteries that expired last February . Ok so what’s the life am i expecting ? About 2 to 3 years the dealer told me . These batteries cost $480 each . [Australia]. Maybe it’s time to go back to the Venturis. Not Happy. Garmin said I wasn’t using the aircraft enough . I average 1.6 hrs a week over 6 months . The next 6 months it’s a lot higher due to reasonable weather . It was also suggested that I have the aircraft permanently powered up . via a battery minder. NO, bad idea. These conditions were not in the information manual. :twisted:
I was asked what were the symptoms of the G5 batteries. Every time I switched on the master the G 5 batteries showed loss of about 20% but recovered during flight to 100 % after 10 mins . It took about 3 days of inactivity that the power in the batteries dropped down . Maybe one solution is creat a hot battery bus and have them powered up on that . But do not want the main aircraft battery to be drained so much as starting becomes a problem.
Has any body else have any other solutions or experienced the same issues.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

I like it! Thanks for sharing the picture.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
8B0170

Post by 8B0170 »

We are in the middle of a rebuild on our 1953 170B. Part of the rebuild is a new instrument panel. We have chosen to keep analog AS, TC, ALT and VSI but add two GI 275 all lined up with the arc of the panel then installation of GNX 375, GNC 255, PS 200b, and JPI 930 in the center. Using the Del-Air STC the center stack radios are possible. The Garmin GFC 500 autopilot is on the list. Garmin says they are working on the approval but will not offer any details. Our avionics shop is not able to get any further info from their Garmin rep. Does anyone know of a GFC 500 install in a 170B?
JimNelson

Post by JimNelson »

I talked to the Garmin autopilot guy at OSH. "We're working on it" is all he could say. I would like them to start working on a GFC 500 on the 170A. Shouldn't bee too different from the B. He said that certifying it for an aircraft is very expensive and they have to consider number of installations to make it worth it. He did ask me to send him an email with the request.
1950 170A
N9955A s/n 19315