Tailwind landings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2580D

Tailwind landings

Post by N2580D »

This is just about one particular strip. Those of you who might be interested in going into Shearer (2U5, 10 miles up the Selway River from Moose Ck, in Idaho), Do NOT try landing with a tail wind!! If you have the proper altitude on approach a go around is not possible. I don't know how I did it; God obviously didn't want me in the trees. A fellow in a tail wheel PA 22 wasn't so lucky. The fishing, however is GREAT ! It's also a fine camping area. We were in there for nearly a week and made many landings and departures...only one down wind!
Pete
Pete Kuckenberg
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Glad you survived that strip OK, Pete :D Sounds like you had an experience similar to mine earlier this month at T94 in San Antonio while landing on rwy 30 with a tailwind....per the published special operating procedure :evil:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Rudy Mantel

Downwind landings

Post by Rudy Mantel »

Downwind landings are a REALLY BAD procedure, in any airplane, but especially in a tailwheel. Those WW1 little biplanes were controlable because they always took off and were landed into the wind, on a large grass field. Sadly, we have to land on runways, mostly paved. So it's important to always choose the one most into the wind.
My only unintentional groundloop was as I was starting a takeoff run on an 8,000 ft runway with a Helio Courier with a 20 k tailwind. Luckily it only did a 180 and nothing was hurt except my dignity.
Rudy