Tailspring U-Bolt

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Stan_Lindholm

Tailspring U-Bolt

Post by Stan_Lindholm »

The U-Bolt on my tailwheel spring broke. Luckily, there is another 170 based at my airport undergoing restoration. We "robbed" the U-Bolt and I was on my way.

My mechanic called several suppliers, and they all told him to call Cessna. The part number is 05010000-32. Cessna charges $140 for this bolt that would probably sell for 99 cents at Ace Hardware! I would like to have a spare -- but for $140 I think I'll take a chance...

Anyone know of an alternate source for this U-bolt??

Stan Lindholm
N8287A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Univair 888/433-5433 has it listed at $100. Pretty ridiculous, all right.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

:roll: Really does NOT make sense. The brake brackets had tight bends and a hole - $6 & $8. And these prices were from Cessna, but maybe because they are used on some 172 models the quantity is significant.:roll:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
garybcollins

Post by garybcollins »

Your U bolt problem reminded me of my trip to Alaska in 1994. We left Oshkosh late in the day and got to St. Cloud MN about dark. On landing, I could tell there was something bad wrong with the tailwheel. :evil: The U bolt was broken. Of course the next morning there was no way to get one to go on the trip. I had my friend Howard Wells with me who is an old A&P and he said lets make one. So we got to an auto supply store and bought the right sized exhaust clamp. With some cutting and fitting and the FBOs welding equpment we had a functional replacement for the U bolt. Several young mechanics were watching this with a bit of amusement. As we began to tighten up the nuts and it was obvious it was going to work OK, Howard said, Which one of you is going to sign off this repair? Did they ever scatter fast. That repair stayed in place for over two years and when I finally decided I should fix it with the proper U bolt from Cessna, I ran into the same cost issue. I found a spring supply company here in Cincinnati and they made me a U bolt for $6. :lol:
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Take a piece of box aircraft steel, split it length wise to get two U channels to match the one with the U bolt, drill holes to match the original, and put one on top and one on bottom with two 1/4" aircraft bolts, locknuts and washers.
GreggHorrell

Cessna's Platinum Parts

Post by GreggHorrell »

Here's one for the group....I went to order the 2-piece firewall shields (the little doohickies the control cables pass thru) that are secured by 2 sheetmetal screws...there are several on the firewall in various sizes. Cessna quoted $129.00 apiece. The oil access panels on a later 172 - 210 are over $450. for the complete set-up. I am in the WRONG business! Really burns me to waste time on the phone with these folks!!!!
Gregg
lowNslow

Re: Cessna's Platinum Parts

Post by lowNslow »

GreggHorrell wrote:Here's one for the group....I went to order the 2-piece firewall shields (the little doohickies the control cables pass thru) that are secured by 2 sheetmetal screws...there are several on the firewall in various sizes. Cessna quoted $129.00 apiece. The oil access panels on a later 172 - 210 are over $450. for the complete set-up. I am in the WRONG business! Really burns me to waste time on the phone with these folks!!!!
Gregg
Gregg, the same stainless steel firewall shields are available from Aircraft-Spruce for $6.50 a pair.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The ragwing tailspring assembly must be a little different from them new-fangled metal-winged jobs. My parts catalog doesn't show any U-bolt. Took a look at the airplane today & didn't see one there either.There's a kinda shackle looking thing holding the leafs together about 2/3 of the way back to the tailwheel,and a pair of channels sandwiching the leafs at the forward end,but no U-bolt.

Eric