New cylinders - Superior or ECI?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russfarris

New cylinders - Superior or ECI?

Post by russfarris »

I'm getting tired of fighting the old Continental jugs one at a time on my C-145. And stories about rocker arm bosses breaking don't help the confidence factor. So I'm beginning to consider doing a top overhaul, with new cylinders. My engine was last majored in 1974, and has about 700 hours since then and 2,200 total. Oil pressure is 45 psi in cruise and 30 at idle. The sump was off earlier this year, and the pump and camshaft checked out perfect...I'm not worried about the bottom end.

What are the experiences you guys and gals have had with Superior Millineums or ECI Classic Cast cylinders? I won't consider new TCMs; too many quality control problems in recent years. Any info is appreciated! Russ Farris
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Russ I was going to use milleniums on my C145 but the overhaul shop {Zepher Engines} recomended ECI as being just as good for less money so I used them and 2 years later I could not be any happier. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Watkinsnv

ECI

Post by Watkinsnv »

I just purchased ECI classic cast Cirminl cylinders for a good price. I haven't put my engine together yet but they look great. Lyc O360 contact Performance air parts. Lance
blueldr

Cylinders

Post by blueldr »

I have 1300 hrs on a set of Superior Milleniums on my C-145
and they have never had any sort of problem and are still
testing in the 70s.
BL
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Thanks guys, for the responses...I'm leaning toward ECI. Charlie at Zephyr Engines and Seth at Performance Products say Superior makes a good product, but are hard to deal with on any warranty problems, as is Continental. ECI will bend over backwards to make the customer happy, and produces an excellent cylinder as well. Performance Products sells ECI at 625 dollars, and Millleneums are 718, so the price is 558 bucks less for six ECIs. With either choice, it's better than wondering when one of those ancient OEM jugs will blow a cylinder head or break a rocker arm boss! There goes another another five grand...aviation; not for the faint of heart! Russ
flyguy

RUMOR HAS - - -

Post by flyguy »

During my sojourn at TWA we got onto the 'flame-spray' merry-go-round early in the 1970's. Everything from 'hot section' parts to '4340' steel landing gear parts were coated with many different compounds with mixed sucess. Some things we just had to remove from the elgibility because of poor economics and a less than 100% sucess rate.

True, the inner surface of a cylinder barrel can be much improved by adding a compound that wears better and prevents rust from forming between uses. Where the problem arises if the adaptability of that new surface to display other personalities as well. Flame spray coumpounds are very good when applied properly. Just like others though they have a reluctance to conform to certain situations. Rapid expansion and friction are the enemies of bi-metalic surfaces and this is where ECI had problems. I have had no personal experience with ECI but some who have, have related their problems to me.

ECI, so the stories say, nearly lost thier shirts with the advent of their "cerminil" miracle! They had less than stellar success with the stuff sticking where it was supposed to stick. ECI may have amended their procedures/materials application but I would recomend thourough investigation before committing to buy their product. Your savings of $ may go out the window if you have to have the engine torn down to replace one or more cylinders where the cerminil plating came unglued and cleaning out the debris from the stuff going throung the engine oil passages. Buyer beware!

Chrome is probably the best of the bunch and it's well known problems not insurmountable. It is not as co-operative to conforming to piston ring shape as steel but when broken in correctly last the longest and prevents that "in-between uses" rusting. If your problems are only related to worn barrels or rings you may want to consider having the cyls re-conditioned with chrome and new pistons and rings. There is a shop near Shreveport does the whole nine yards. Just the chrome for around $250.00 per. If new valves and seats are mandated they are additional. I imagine there are many other shops around the country who do this for much the same price. ElReno is one. The rocker shaft bosses are a problem area but that can be solved by using later model cyls with the bigger bosses. $0.02 :lol:
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

HOw does one tell if they have big bosses or little bosses?

Bruce[/quote]
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
planepilot1

Superior vs ECI Cylinders

Post by planepilot1 »

I did a major OH in mid/late '99 (150+ hrs ago) & upon recommendation of Sentry Cylinders in Fort Worth, TX (they do all of El Reno's cylinder work) I purchased 6 new ECI's (steel) @ about the same $ as mentioned in another reply--$650 +-. Almost 3 yrs, 150+ hrs & 2 annuals later I could not be more pleased. Good compressions, good temps, etc. Very low oil consumption. Approx 1.5 qts between Fort Worth, Las Vegas, NV & back this summer. I am about to undergo 3rd annual & hope to be as pleased after it is completed as I am now.

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Me,too. When I had my overhaul done about a year & a halff ago,the shop owner recommended steel ECI's.That's what his "standard overhaul" price is based on. I've got about 240 hours on them now.They broke in quick & easy,and at last year's annual they were all 80/80.

Eric