Water in the Wings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Water in the Wings

Post by wa4jr »

I was out today doing lazy-8s and other stuff in preparation for revalidating my CFI ticket. I noticed during the lazy-8 that water appeared to be pouring out of both wings just above the rear quarter window. The flow of water continued for some time, and this is the second time I have noticed such a large amount of water coming out of my wings :? We have not had any significant rain in several days prior to this flight. The aircraft is tied down outside as I won't pay the high cost of hangars here, so water is apparently leaking into the wings and pooling up near the wing root....which I don't like at all :x I would have thought that drain holes would be provided at the lowest point in the wings to drain all precipitation and condensation away. Can anyone suggest a remedy :!: I suppose I could pull a few inspection covers and find out just where the water is pooling and then drill a few drain holes myself...but I think better to wait and see what those that have passed before me have to say :wink:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Maybe more ammo for the reason hangars aren't all that costly :idea:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX