Klip Tip Prop

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

simatos

Klip Tip Prop

Post by simatos »

I have just discivered a Kilp Tip Prop in amongst my hangar goodies. It fits the cont0-300 d engine. Does anybody know if this is usable on the 170? THX G
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You'll need to post the model number which should be stamped on the prop.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
simatos

Post by simatos »

The model number for the prop is EM 7653. Is this a prop that can be used on the 170??? G
Bruce Fenstermacher

The approved model numbers start with DM or MDM. So your EM would not be able to be used without some sort of approval. Besides it probably only has 6 bolt holes and if you have a stock C-145 you need an 8 bolt prop.

simatos

Post by simatos »

Actually to make life interesting I have the o-300-d engine with the 6 bolt crank. I was wondering what the point to klipping the tip would be and what type of prop based on the 53 number. I am just learning about all this stuff Thanks G
Bruce Fenstermacher

The Klip Tip is just a marketing name given to that model of propeller that describes the design of the tip of the prop by McCauley.

I don't know whether it's available in a size that might be used on a plane the size of a 170 or a o-300 but McCauley does have a smaller propeller for a Cub which they have in Klip- Tip and Standard Tip. I also have a Cup and happen to have a Klip Tip prop on it. I don't really remember but don't think there is any performace difference between the different models. If there was it would be something I'd remember.

Since you do have the 0300-D I believe you would have the DMD model prop. You might want to find out what 172 the prop came from and possibly use that as a basis for an approval to use it on your 170. I doubt if the prop, if you would be able to use it, would do anything magical that your current prop isn't doing otherwise many others would have done it already.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

G-simatos, the EM 7653 is a correct prop for the O-300-D engine installed on a 170....provided that the engine/prop combination has a basis of approval such as field approval or STC, etc.
The EM series of prop is identical to the MDM series except for the fact that it only uses 6 bolts to attach it to the crank-flange. It was a common installation on the early Cessna 172 aircraft which used the O-300-C or D engines.
Klip-Tip merely refers to a squared-off tip as opposed to a rounded tip. Rounded tips could be converted in accordance with the McCauley ovhl manual. The advantage was minimal from a performance point, but it was more easily maintained from an erosion/foreign-object damage point.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

George I thought I had this straight but appearently I don't.

A DM and a MDM prop are exactly the same. Airfoil the same and 8 bolts. The MDM is approved on a 170 but the designator MDM is for a 172. The EM prop is for a 172 and has a thinner airfoil than either DM or MDM and has a 6 bolt pattern. the EM needs a basis of approval top be used on a 170.

Do I have this right now?

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to the McCauley manual, the MDM is a thinner profile than the DM series (which it shares with the EM series.) The EM series differs from the MDM in the 6 bolt pattern rather than the MDM (and DM) 8 bolt pattern.
Besides saving weight over the DM series, the thinner profile also reduces drag and increases efficiency.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

OK now I think I have it straight AGAIN. :D

Thanks

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

RE: efficiency, from what I've read, an MDM prop seems to get about the same rpm, power &performance as a DM with 2" more pitch (for example, a 76-53 MDM versus a DM 76-51). Just from owner's reports in the 170 Book, Flypaper, etc

Eric
simatos

Post by simatos »

You guys thank you for info. G
simatos

Post by simatos »

George I just read your note. This Klip Tip prop has rounded ends and tho it says the model is 7653 it length is just about 72 inches so i think it has been trimmed big time. G
Bruce Fenstermacher

Yes it has and it is probably under the legal limit for that prop on a certified installation but you'll have to look at the McCauley manual for that which I don't have. Perhaps George will check.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

TCDS for the 170 specifies the McCauley diameter not to be over 76" or under 74.5".