Tailwheel / rudder question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

U2Hoog

Tailwheel / rudder question

Post by U2Hoog »

I've noticed recently that taxiing I have to have about 1-2 inches of deflection required constantly on the right pedal to taxi straight. I've inspected the tail area, and it SEEMS straight. I don't require this deflection (except on takeoff and initial climbout) in flight. I've also noticed that it is making my landings a little more, uh, interesting.

How can I adjust this? Any ideas for me here?

"Hoog"
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

You might check that the rudder springs (under the floorboards,aft of the firewall)) are connected. Also jack the tail off the ground (under the tailspring attach area) & check out the tailwheel steering chains & springs,to be sure that they're not too tight on one side.

Eric

PS: Only met up with one other 170 pilot at the BLI Airfest Sunday. Shame on all you other guys for not showing up! Saw 2 resident 170's tied down on the ramp,& 1 resident 170 taking off,but none of the three seemed to be participating in the event.
U2Hoog

170 no show?

Post by U2Hoog »

Eric,

As much as I hate to say it, I was flying -- but not the 170. I was out earning money to pay for my flying habit! With my seniority, I always seem to work the weekends!

I'll check the tail by jacking it up. Good idea.

Hoog
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I know this was posted awhile ago, but thought I'd
chime in on a possible cause (didja ever get
it straightened out?).

A '53 B model I flew for awhile did the same thing.
Turns out the right brake was dragging (corrosion
in the caliper piston bore).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
U2Hoog

Good idea!

Post by U2Hoog »

Hey, another excellent idea! I haven't gotten it completely straightened out yet. But we are working on it. Great input on the dragging brake.

"Hoog"
AKbushpilot

Crazy Taxi

Post by AKbushpilot »

Try these ideas. First check your main wheel allignment. Also check your main gear to see if they are the same on both sides. I have heard stories of one gear setting farther forward/aft than the other and this would cause a turn in either direction. Check your brakes for rubbing and your bearings for correctness. Believe it or not, check your tires to make sure they are the same. Yes, that happens too as sometimes people are on the raod and need tires but they are from different manufactures. While you are therecheck your axles, axle bolts, shims, etc. Don't forget your rudder pedals and cables. Raise the rear end, align your peddles and take a look at your tail. I should be centered. Remove the rudder springs to do this as they might be part or all of the problem. Take a look at your tailspring for proper alignment where it mounts and to see that it is not twisted. Last but not least is check the play in your tailwheel as it might have the leans for an internal reason. I think I covered all the areas that might cause a steering problem out side of the actual fuselage structure but if your airplane flies straight with the ball centered than this is not a problem. Good luck.
U2Hoog

Tailwheel

Post by U2Hoog »

Excellent inputs. I printed your post. I'm off to my A&P tomorrow with that in hand. I do have a question for you. I'd asked others about the compression springs, and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, said stay away. I've got a scott tailwheel. Recommendations on replacement springs?

As for the gear / tires being the same, the are. The problem has slowly begun to show itself over the last year. Prior to that, I had no problems, and she taxiied straight as an arrow.

We confirmed last week that the brakes are not dragging. I haven't jacked up the tail to try to see if things are centered that way though. Also, I presume that when you said "center your pedals" you meant the old fashioned way by manually positioning them. I don't think I've seen anything that is an akin to a rudder adjustment since I've owned this fine machine.

Any other suggestions? I'll let you know what we find over the next couple weeks or so.

Stephen Hoogasian
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've got compression-type steering springs on my ragwing,and they work fine. What's the alleged problem with them?

Eric
U2Hoog

Compression Springs??

Post by U2Hoog »

Eric,

No one gave me any real specific reasons, just recommended staying away from them. My A&P surmises it may be a lot stiffer feel on the pedals, maybe a little less forgiving ?? Whatever. You're the first person who has written me liking them. The A&P had initially recommended them as a good idea since if they break, you still have control.

Thoughts?

Hoog