Reserved C170 Type Parking at OSH 2005 - FULL

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jcraver

Post by jcraver »

I am interested .... Sign me up
John Craver
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

Most of you have seen the change to OSH for 2005. It will begin on Monday and end Sunday July 31. As a result we must also shift our planned arrival to the reserved area one day earlier.

I am keeping track of planned parkers for our area. We will have much more dialog as time goes on.

Tip: Check the box on this thread to be notified when a reply is posted. That way you will see all posts and messages from those planning to make the trip.
John
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I'd like to add myself and Becky to the list for a reservation. Thanks for coordinating.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
gmatheny

OSH fly-in/parking/etc.

Post by gmatheny »

:D I discussed a future trip to OSH last night with my better half (not quite expecting an exhuberent response) and to my surprise she non-hesitantly said "sure, that sounds like it could be fun." 8O WOW! This sounds like the trip. I joined the association soon after I bought N9714A, a pretty little '49 170A in July of '01. Joy (the WAY better half referred to above) and I have taken a few trips in the bird, but we have not gone to any of the fly-ins/conventions/etc. Our schedules seem to frequently conflict. As a novice to the fly-in scene, I would appreciate it if an old hand at this sort of thing could provide some pointers and describe some of the things I should expect and plan for. I'll be looking in for any replies to this posting. Thanks in advance.
chopper-straightwingav8r
N1424D

Oshkosh Parking - 2005

Post by N1424D »

Confirming that I wish to park with the group at Oshkosh, 2005. I will likely arrive either Saturday, July 23, or Sunday, July 24.
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

We will most likely have to start a new topic just to discuss the fun of OSH arriival. Start by getting a copy of the NOTAM. It is at the EAA site http://www.airventure.org I have only missed once in the last 12 years. The NOTAM may make it seem more complex than it really is.

My tips(IMHO):
1. Come early and leave early : two or three days prior to start if possible. Open containers and parties are frowned upon on the flight line once the show begins....most fun is hooking up with friends you only see once a year who share the same passion.

2. Arrive a close as possible after 8:00 am as you can. Fresh controllers, linemen and pilots who have not been bored to complacency with hours of cruise.
3. Keep your eys out of the plane...I have offered rewards for each plane spotted by my passenger(s).
4. Follow the instructions of the controllers. Rock wings vigorously to acknowledge calls. Simply find another a/c and get in trail. Many use 122.75 or 122.85 to hook up long before the Ripon staging waypoint.
5. Practice making accurate spot landings while keeping your speed on final at no less than 85. There are three spots on each runway. You will be following other A/C in that will be landing on one of the dots forward of the one they will ask you to use (3 aircraft landing on the same runway at the same time...way cool!). Get good at bleeding speed, hitting your landing target zone and slowing quickly. You will be expected to turn off into the grass as soon as possible following touchdown so they can re-use your 1/3 of the runway for another arrival. In the 170, an aggressive side slip just before flare will bleed speed. A trick I learned to win spot landing contests was to use ailerons to 'plant' and stick one gear. Dump the flaps, then continue keeping the a/c going straight and 'let' the other gear touch down when it is ready. You won't bounce as you have pre-sprung the gear before the tail comes down and tries to induce lift again.
6. A portable radio is fun to have at camp to listen to arrivals and the airboss during the shows.

This will be an experience you will cherish forever. We are going to have a lot of FUN.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Put me on the list. I will be there this year if the weather holds.
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
aquanaut

Post by aquanaut »

John, I'm interested in the parking and the group arrival. I recently purchased my 1948 170, joined the TIC170A and have never been to Oshkosh. This ought to be a real rush.
Dave
Dave Esslinger
derf62

N8109A based at 35KY will be in SAT or Sun.,

Post by derf62 »

I'd like to join the group. Member # 6066, Acft 1952 170B, N8109A from Franklin, KY.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Please count us in for 170ville at Oshkosh 2005. Will info be posted here, or will we need to contact EAA for taxi placard, etc.?

Should be even more fun than other great Airventures.

Tom Lippert
'48 N3967V
eight8november

Oshkosh Parking

Post by eight8november »

Hi all

I was just wondering how this all works, getting a spot for group parking. We over on the 120/140 site are thinking about having a group flyin for the 60th anniversary of our planes this year.

What needs to be done to get a parking space for a bunch of planes? Is it too late to do it for this year?

Thanks for all the help....

Matt Lahti
GAHorn

Re: Oshkosh Parking

Post by GAHorn »

eight8november wrote:Hi all

I was just wondering how this all works, getting a spot for group parking. We over on the 120/140 site are thinking about having a group flyin for the 60th anniversary of our planes this year.

What needs to be done to get a parking space for a bunch of planes? Is it too late to do it for this year?

Thanks for all the help....

Matt Lahti
Why don't all you baby 170's just come on over and join us! Big happy fambly! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
BloomerJohn

Post by BloomerJohn »

I am going to have to lock down our group parking numbers to the EAA soon. We have a max of 40 spots available in the prime real estate between the EAA field repair station and the Ultralight Reb Barn on the west side of the tramway.

I NEED your Contact information!!

Please e-mail me direct with ALL of the the following infromation to: John@NielsenFord.com

A/C Reg #:
E-mail address:
First Name:
Last Name:
Mail Address:
City:
ST:
Zip:
Home Phone:

You will be added to the list of authorized aircraft. I will keep the group informed about details of the arrival.

If we can get 20 or more A/C to stage and arrive at once, the FAA has agreed to issue a waiver to the published arrival NOTAM. They would close the airport for our arrival and all our aircraft would be landed on 18/36 and lead as one big group to our reserved parking area!! Would that be impressive or what!!

We will discuss this and other important matters such as food, fun and beverages during our stay.

Call me if you have any questions. My cell: 715-829-6512

John Nielsen
cpolsley

OSH parking 2005

Post by cpolsley »

John

I e-mailed you of my request for reserved parking at OSH but have received no confirmation reply. Thought I would remind you via the forum. N4541C e-mail address is cpolsley@columbus.rr.com and the other information is available in the directory.

Thanks

Chris Polsley
aquanaut

Parking

Post by aquanaut »

FYI, Replying to this post does not get you on the official list for Oshkosh parking. You need to contact John Nelson direct (e-mail, phone, snail-mail) in order to be on the list. John also indicated to me, via e-mail, that there won't be a group arrival due to varied times of arrival.
Hope to see you there.
Dave Esslinger
48' 170
N2646V
Dave Esslinger