1948 C170 versu C170A/B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

I like the Polyfiber for it's ease of repair, a little while back in my early tailwheel training days ( about 14 months ago :) ). i was putting the covers on my wing's. The fastener is a bungee with a loop that hooks on a plastic hook. well one of the loops are too small so you have to force one of them on, in doing so i slipped and put my big thumb right through the wing :cry: . The repair took me a few hours at most, A dollar patch, poly tack,brush and spray I was flying again, I was going to leave the duck tape on the hole, it was a perfect match :wink: , but the polyspray matched the the nevada silver polytone pretty good too.
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Both systems are easy to repair. There are tons of old timers tricks. You wouldn't believe some of the things I did with the dope.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Bruce are you talking what you did with the old timer or the liquid? :D 8O Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce don't admit to anything on the Internet. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KMac

Post by KMac »

Joe Moilanen wrote:KMac, it sure brings back memories to see 22A in your avitar. I'm leaving for Idaho in the morning and will be gone until after the 4th. Probably going to camp at Moose Creek and play around from there. If anybody happens to be in the area, stop in.

Joe Moilanen
4518C
Joe,
If you ever get to California - I will buy you a beer. Sounds like there might be a north-south (CA) 170 fly in later in the year. I might go if there is.
Kevin :D
taildrager

Re covering wings

Post by taildrager »

I helped my dad rebuild an old (1940) Aeronca Chief. When it came time to recover the wings he had a friend help out who was his AI. He was usng a heat lamp to take out a small wrinkle in the tip and caught the wing on fire. They drug it out into the driveway and hosed it down, but not after burning about four ribs. Back to square one. It was a long time ago but I remember all the hours of rib stitching. It went back together eventually but took lots longer than he figured. I am curious about these new metal wings and their flaps. What are flaps? Do the metal wings take much maintenance? Do the skins ever have to come off? What about corrosion? Thank you for your answers. Alan Gordon
I am 53, done raising two boys as a single father and am looking forward to getting back into flying. I soloed at 16, PP at 17 way back in 1969. Like tail wheel airplanes and lots of VFR weather.