slight fuel leak

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3437d

slight fuel leak

Post by n3437d »

Advice from the more knowledgeable regarding slight fuel weeping. Within the last few days I have noticed some staining on the floor underneath my plane. This is directly below the fuel shut off valve. Is this an easy repair once all fuel has been drained or is it a pain in the butt operation? Fuel loss is insignificant but I don't want to ignore it.

Open for comments, ideas, etc.

N3437D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I recently repaired mine. After draining fuel it took about 1 hour to remove the valve and another to reinstall it. It is not the worst thing I've ever done but it is a pain in the butt squeezing your arms down though the flap handle opening around the control cables and in other inspection holes. Count on cutting (shreading) your arms a few places. All the O rings are common but don't use the exploded view in the parts manual for rebuilding as it shows the sequence of the o-ring and other parts incorrectly. Look at the exploded view in the maintenance manual, it is correct. Oh and get friendly with your A&P who has a little dab of fuel lube that you should use in the rebuild cause to buy the life time supply which is the smallest available quantity is expensive.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com