new primer installed - and a weird disclaimer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

russfarris

new primer installed - and a weird disclaimer

Post by russfarris »

Installed a new primer, Kohler 2402-2, which was New Old Stock from the early 1970s I would guess, judging by the strange disclaimer on the box. Here's the direct quote:

"CAUTION: This product is NOT intended for use in Concorde and American Supersonic Transport aircraft and Kohler Co. denies ALL liability for such use."

The Boeing SST was cancelled by the Nixon administration in 1971, partly because the emerging environmentalist movement targeted it as a major threat to the earth, along with the Concorde SST. (The daunting engineering problems didn't help; not to mention the cost.)

It seems the Kohler lawyers thought the SST was so unpopular they decided to cover their butts and stamp a light airplane part with a totally ridiculous statement (what could you use the primer for, the coffee pots in the galley?) A sad commentary, indeed. Given Boeing's track record, past and present, I'm sure the 2707 would have been a hell of an airplane...certainly more economically viable than the Concorde (it would have held up to 300 passengers, versus the Concordes 100.)

OK, off the soapbox now. I'm keeping the carton as a reminder of the beginning of America's decline as an aviation leader...Russ Farris