First Time Buyer Appreciate Your Thoughts C170B. Fair Price?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bob

First Time Buyer Appreciate Your Thoughts C170B. Fair Price?

Post by Bob »

I'm considering the purchase of a 1952 C170B. TT Airframe 2300. TT Engine I.O. 360, 210 hp SMOH 550. 180 main gear. Sportsman STOL kit.
Ground looped prior to upgrades. 90" McCaully prop. McCaully dble puck
brakes. No paint. Cessna 175 wings. Sparce avionics. Aluminum dash and side pannels. No corrision. Std Airworthiness and Field Approvals
Asking 62K.

I live in Alaska on a small lake and would like to have floats and skiis, however the plane does not have a float kit. How much might it cost to get floats and the float kit installed? I've heard that the PK 2000 floats are minimal and that the PK 2300 or EDO 2430 floats wold be better. Are they hard to find?
Would FAA approval be hard to get? Would I be better off to look for another 170 already equipped with floats?

I have dreamed of owning a plane for many years and would appreciate your thoughts and comments since I have always rented airplanes in the past, and have no experience and knowledge of plane ownership. This plane appears to me to be rather unique, with potential excellent short field performance. Thanks. Lots of questions.
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

If you are going to spend that much money, you could get a 180 with 2870 floats. I am an A&P/IA that worked in Anchorage doing float installations and maintenance at Lake Hood. I know it will be hard to find a pair of PK2300's and it will be hard to make the larger edo floats legal. An early 180 with a nice set of Edo 2870 is about the nicest setup for the money you can get. The 170 you're talking about is going to start getting into big bucks by the time you install a float kit, buy floats and that doesn't count the frustration factor.

Ilive in Idaho now, but I have a friend who is trying to sell a 180 already set up with floats. His Name is John Moylan and his ANC # is 907 345 XXXX. If yo have any other questions feel free to e-mail direct to me at n6575a@juno.com. Kelly
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Bob,

Sounds like this bird has the XP Mods Engine STC. This is a good airplane but $62K? For $62K + float kit and floats your going to easily have $80K into it. This kind of money will get you into a decent C-180 on EDO 2870's. I assume you will need to haul gear and supplies to and from your cabin and the 180 is clearly the better load hauler. IMHO, If you have this much money to spend, I would look at 180's first.

Bruce Christie