Tires with wheel pants

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LBB

Tires with wheel pants

Post by LBB »

any magic for easy filling tires with wheel pants in place?? thanks. 3488D
mit

Post by mit »

get rid of the wheel pants.
Tim
hsjrev

Post by hsjrev »

My wheel pants have been sitting in the corner of my hangar for the last six months. I haven't come up with a good way to work around them.
Harold Holiman

Wheel Pants

Post by Harold Holiman »

I had two planes in the past that had little doors in the wheel pants which allowed you to access the valve stem. My current plane has 8:00 tires and no wheel pants. I think you may can get the little doors at either Wag Aero or Spruce.

Harold H
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have the orginal-type metal wheel pants. Here's how I do it:
Roll the airplane to the point that the stem is at the 6 o'clock position, and using a tire pencil make a small ^ on the sidewall so as to more easily identify the stem in the future. When checking/filling with air all one must do is roll the tire to that point and remove only the AN-5 bolt that holds the outer pant-panel to the axle-end. The pant may then be pulled gently away from the end of the axle, leaving enough room to check pressure or add air. When finished, re-install the AN-5 bolt and you're through. I keep a tire gauge and small 9/16 box wrench in my baggage. (Along with a light, $5 foot pump, $2 tube-patch kit, and a 20-cent, plastic, valve-stem extension to check/add air to my tailwheel, all found at WalMart.)
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I also have the original metal wheel pants on my 54' 170, and am able to check pressure and fill the tires by rolling the plane to a point where the fill tubes are at the 7 to 8 o'clock position. I can do the operation without removing any bolts at all, though the space is somewhat limited. Of more concern to me with the wheel pants is that I cannot do a good tire inspection during the preflight. That worn flat spot can stay hidden for an long time before going BLOOOEEEE! :cry: So I am thinking of taking the pants off, especially since winter ops are near.
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
LBB

Tires with wheel pants

Post by LBB »

Thanks for the info. i think the pants are so cute so will struggle with them. larry 8)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wa4jr wrote:I also have the original metal wheel pants on my 54' 170, and am able to check pressure and fill the tires by rolling the plane to a point where the fill tubes are at the 7 to 8 o'clock position. I can do the operation without removing any bolts at all, though the space is somewhat limited. Of more concern to me with the wheel pants is that I cannot do a good tire inspection during the preflight. That worn flat spot can stay hidden for an long time before going BLOOOEEEE! :cry: So I am thinking of taking the pants off, especially since winter ops are near.
At 170-speeds I don't have my wheel fairings on for speed. I have them on to keep mud, water, gravel, rocks, etc. off the undersides of my wings and tail. I remove them completely every so often (at least bi-annually or 50 hours) to inspect tires, wheels, and brake linings. If a tire won't make it 50 hours on the grass strip I live on, then it's time to throw them away.
knesbitt

Post by knesbitt »

Those with the wheel pants sitting in the corner, how about selling them to me....:)