SPARK PLUGS

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

R COLLINS

SPARK PLUGS

Post by R COLLINS »

I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING THE USE OF REM 40E PLUGS IN A C-145-2, IT CURRENTLY HAS REM 38E'S INSTALLED. WILL A HOTTER PLUG CAUSE ELEVATED EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURES OR ANY OTHER HEAT RELATED PROBLEMS. WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF USING A HOTTER PLUG. I HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF 40'S, AND IT SORELY NEEDS SOME.

N1745D 170A51
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Stickem in! They are an approved plug for your engine. In fact they are the recommended plug for your engine. (REM38 is not the recommended plug, according to Champion)
Spark plug heat ranges have nothing to do with your engine's exhaust gas temps, cylinder head temps, or anything other than your spark plug electrode temps. A "hotter" plug simply runs it's electrodes at higher temps which can aid in burning off deposits.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Been running REM 40E PLUGS IN my C-145-2 and have been very pleased. 500+ hours and rotation top to bottom twice a year, they always look great, for the last 4+ years.

:cry: Could you do anything about that weather in your part of the country :?: We are trying to get back to Reklaw to pick up a couple of stranded 170's and it just keeps raining and raining and . . .
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

Thats good to know, thanks for the reply. The gap is factory set on the plugs at .016, is this standard and the correct setting for my engine? I purchased a box of 12 factory new in sealed sleeves off e-bay for $120.00.

Another thing, George my right aileron hangs down lower than the bottom edge of the wing. The hinges appear to be replaced at some point in the past. The hinge is made flat where the attach screws mount to the wing and aileron, but is slightly curled where the actual the hinge halves meet and the (piano)wire goes through them. Should the curl be up or down? Mine are mounted different left and right. Does this matter or is it irrelevent?

Hey Joe, I have a jon boat we can affix to the bottom of those planes as a temporary float, you may lose a little airspeed, but if it doesn't stop raining it may be the last option. 8O