Noisy

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sj

Noisy

Post by sj »

I really like my 52' 170B, and I have really learned a bunch of very useful stuff from the fine folks here on the forum.

Even though I wear Bose headsets, and my wife wears a Denali ANR, the dang thing is just plain NOISY! I thought I owned the noisiest plane on earth, the super cub, then I got the 170.

It is all original engine wise, has a BIG padded blanket thingy on the firewall. Does the exhaust stack extension really help?

Any other thoughts would be helpful!

thanks!

sj

P.S. I know I can put ear plugs in UNDER the Bose, not the solution I was looking for.
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
Email: Steve (at) Supercub (dot) Org
JDH

Post by JDH »

SJ, trade it in for a Citation :lol: Just joking. I put on the Bartone exhaust on my '52 and besides giving it a nicer, richer throaty sound, the belly stays cleaner. I find I get more wind noise and air leaks since installing the bubble windows; knew it would not all be benifit (shoulder width). They sure are not RJ's, but you can make them fairly (and expensively, materials and time) quiet, ask George about his sound insulation. JD
sj

Post by sj »

Thanks, but Citations SMELL funny! All that kereosene I guess...

Does the bartone require a "no longer available" field approval?

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Perhaps my family and I are just used to the sound, but I don't find it annoying. Took the family down to San Antonio and back this summer with no complaints. We all use just the passive headsets. I do have the Bartone pipes and some insulation on the cabin side of the firewall. I suppose my "tolerance" for the sound of a good engine is quite high, as I drive a 75 MGB with a race exhaust. LUUUUUV to hear those engines run, be it an O-300 or a race prepped Leyland engine :D Never could understand the folks that install stereos and CD players to cover up the sound of that wonderful engine with all that noise :wink:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
sj

Post by sj »

Point well taken. I put a couple hours on the bird today with the ANR headsets and it was much more enjoyable. I like the SOUND, I just don't like it as loud...

sj
1952 170B
Steve Johnson
Lake Waukomis, MO