Which AIG

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

eichenberger

Which AIG

Post by eichenberger »

In the posts about insurance, and referencing AIG, do you all know that there are two entities using AIG as a name? One, AIG Aviation, is an insurance company, first rate and first class. They do business through virtually all of the independent brokers. AIG Aviation does not sell insurance directly to consumers - only thru independent agents or brokers.
The other ourfit is an agency. If you "Called AIG" you are probably dealing with this agency.
Always ask ANY agency for ALL of the quotes that they have received for your insurance, from every insurance company they asked to quote you. That way, you can be sure of what you're getting, who the actual insurance company is, what the coverages are, and what the premium is.
If an agency only gives you one quote - fire them and give someone else an agent of record letter, who will do the job for you right.
Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
jeichenberger@ehlawyers.com
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I've wondered about that. I went from AVEMCO to Aviation Insurance Group in Bethany OK (AIG) and have enjoyed the best service from the kindest folks. Every time I call I can almost...I said almost....think I am talking to my mom :roll: The TIC170 membership really meant something to them and the club rate is great. This is why I wondered about the couple of posts where it was said that the person on the other end of the line at "AIG" did not seem interested in talking to a 170 owner and TIC170 Club member :? I was just thinking it may be the luck of the draw...getting someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning...but now I bet they called the "wrong" AIG :!:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I believe the distinction between the two is the AIG out of Bethany, OK and USAIG (I was with them through USAA). I left USAIG because they kept raising my premium as I gained experience and hours (both in my 170 and flying part 135).
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

All this talk about "which AIG" got me curious....
I insure with AIG,in Bethany OK,the outfit that advertises in the 170 News. Their ad sez "AIG Aviation Insurance Group Ltd",also "Agents...Brokers" across the top of the ad. The policy they sent me sez "aviation insurance contract" and "AIG Aviation" on the cover. However,the policy coverage summary page sez that the policy is issued by "The Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania".
So I would say that "AIG Aviation" is an agent/broker. I recall 2 years ago getting a quote from (I think) AOPA for insuarnce,they were quite a bit higher than AIG but when I asked them who the underwrite was,they said AIG. I thought this meant they were throwing a too-healthy mark-up on my coverage,maybe they were quoting the "other AIG"--USAIG?

Eric
PS sorry for all the "quotation marks"
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Nope... AOPA's AIG is AIG from Bethany, OK. I found this out when I went shopping for insurance after insuring through AOPA. I called AIG for a quote, they asked who I was presently insured with and I said AOPA. They asked who the underwriter was and I honestly had no idea and they gave me a verbal quote over the phone. I got a letter a week later saying "Uh, Gee.... it seems that WE are the underwriter for your AOPA policy. Therefore we can't formally give you a quote unless you sign this document saying that you want to insure with us (or something to that effect)". I signed the form, sent it back, and got my quote @ $450 less than AOPA's version... same underwriter, same coverage. Hhhmmmmm.......
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

USAIG (U. S. Aircraft Insurance Group) and AIG (Aviation Insurance Group) and AIG (American International Group) are three different insurance underwriter groups. The last will insure aircraft thru a consortium of smaller underwriters who share the risk. The former two are specifically involved almost exclusively with aircraft (although they also will underwrite certain marine insurance.) USAIG specializes in Corporate Aircraft Insurance, and sells thru Independent Agents. AOPA is an AIG agency, and tacks on a commission. AIG will sell direct if you contact them direct. They will not, however, undercut an authorized agent, and will require you to appoint them agent of record should you already have a policy.
planepilot1

AIG

Post by planepilot1 »

AIG (Aviation Insurance Group) out of Bethany, OK is like your neighborhood Independent Insurance Agent who can place your auto, homeowners or other insurance needs with any one of a variety of companies they are contracted with. This give them the flexibility to check with several companies and offer you the best deal. Unlike AVEMCO, which is the State Farm/Farmers, etc of the aviation insurance world, they only represent one company and can place you with only vrs co's owned by AVEMCO. AIG (American International Group) is a world wide insurance company that is represented by many, many independent insurance agents. They write many types of commercial insurance ranging form factories, ships, etc and like most insurance co's are a member of one or more "pools" who join together to insure large risks like ships, airplanes, etc. My policy with AIG is written with the Insurance Company of the state of Pennsylvania. I don't know anything about that company, although anyone can check them in a Best Guide for information and financial stability. As mentioned in a previous post, anyone insuring an airplane "should" read their policy carefully to be sure you understand what is and isn't covered and any exclusions or warranties that specific policy may have. There is no "standard" policy on aircraft as there is on your house or car insurance.

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson