REKLAW

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

planepilot1

REKLAW

Post by planepilot1 »

Hey George, where were you and Joe on Oct 23-25? We had a flying at Dave Mason's and neither of you were there. Were you and Joe out having a race? No excuses for hauling around the political folks or bad weather. Steve Grimsley and I made it (along with 6 other planes and 1 helicopter) and we had a great time even though the other 350+ planes, including you and Joe, didn't show! Well to be honest, Joe did go--he became the rescue service for Steve and I as in he drove to Reklaw and then drove each of us home. Now is that a friend or what? Of course Steve & my airplanes are still visiting Dave's planes at Reklaw. We thought it would be a good idea for them to get to know one another better. Hope to retrieve them Sat am & go to Lancaster. Be there!
Frank Stephenson
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have no idea where George and Joe were, but I was in Guthrie, OK, grounded for weather. After flying all the way from Jackson,CA. headed for Recklaw, I was some kind of
torqued at mother nature. After three days in Guthrie the weather eagles at the FSS said it was only going to get worse. When the ceiling got up to 1200 ft. and Borger,TX, had 3500 broken I headed back west. I made it to Santa Rosa,NM, where the sky was clear and the vis unlimited.Refueled and RONd and planned an early start.
Got up early, opened the blinds and looked out-----#$%@@ 200 and a half mile!!!! All day Saturday in the La Quinta Motel ($75.00/night) in Santa rosa,NM.
Squeezed out of there Sunday morning under a low ceiling, found a nice hole and got on top, It was not at all thick. Finally ran out of it in about a hundred miles and went on to refuel in page,AZ, then on to refuel again in Tonapah,NV, and then on across the Sierras to Jackson,CA. Eight plus hours flying time. My old ass was really dragging.
I sure as hell hated to miss the fly in. I figured i might win for the greatest distance flown and at 80 plus years had a pretty good shot at being the oldest PIC.
Oh well,---Maybe next year.

BL
planepilot1

Reklaw

Post by planepilot1 »

BL-Sorry you encountered the louzy weather. That hurricane off the Mexican Pacific coast just pumped and pumped the moisture across all of the area. You probably would have had the long distance award and possibly oldest pilot. As it was I got the oldest PIC @ 58 yrs. In past yrs I think that was rec'd by PIC's in their late 70's & early 80's. What's funny is that the Piper Cub club always has seperate awards for oldest Cub, youngest and oldest PIC, longest distance flown to Reklaw, etc. This year it all went to one plane/pilot! Only one plane was able to get in and he was grounded (stranded) as we were. He most likely got out in a few days as he didn't have far to go. I am planning to go get my bird tomorrow even though we may have up to 35 mph winds (Calif weather system moving our way).

Plan to come back for Reklaw in October 2003! You will love it.

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson