Engine Oil

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Laseter

Engine Oil

Post by David Laseter »

I've searched all 8 pages for this subject and didn't find it.
Most of the plane owners I know in Alaska use AeroShell 15W/50.
Now that I've moved to Arkansas should I change?
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

David, check in "the Hangar" for topic: High Oil Temps revisited
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

George, this brings up a point I was wondering the other night regarding postings. Perhaps you could give us some guidance as to which post belong in the "Hanger" and which in the "Lounge", there seems to be some cross posting occuring which will make it more difficult to browse as the sight continues to get bigger. Then again, maybe I'm just getting a little anal.

Karl
David Laseter

Engine Oil

Post by David Laseter »

High Oil Temp Revisted
Had all the information I needed. I'll change to 80W as soon as I get home and then about March or so be ready to go 100W.
My engine temp got cold coming down, reading 140-150 at times. OAT 0 deg F. I Duct Taped all the Cowling openings but still stayed on the cold side. Leaned it real tight, even used carb heat some. Had to anyway, ice almost shut me down a time or two. I'm afraid of moisture in the oil, but it was a 40hr trip so will change oil ASAP.
gahorn, would you delete this Topic (Engine Oil) and my post within?
Maybe the topic "High Oil Temps Revisted" could be edited to read something like "Oil types & temps".
But I'm just so Darn excited with the education I'm getting, that I don't care how it's all put in here.
Thanks,
Dave :)
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Now, back to engine oil!
Since my engine overhaul done by Aviation Engines Inc. in Centerville, Al. (And I would recommend them to anyone doing an overhaul). I have been wondering the effects, if any, on changing oil types and brands. Aviation Engines first put Phillips break-in oil in. I went 25 hrs as I recall then put an oil filter on and I think the Phillips went back in. Then at 50 hrs and once the break-in period was over, I put Aero Shell 100W in. After 88 hours I had 3 ECI cylinders with low compression and Aviation Engine found that the exhaust values were not sealing. They fix that under warranty, then put Phillips XC 20/50W in. Now at next oil change I'm think I want to use Aero. Anyone with thoughts they would like to share?
Curtis N1256D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Your valve seating warranty issue has nothing to do with the oil you're using. I recommend the oil most commonly available (and most likely to be found on sale) which is proven out to be the long-term "old reliable"....AeroShell 100W.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've used Phillips XC 20/50W in all my aircraft here in Pa. A C65, C145 and a Lyc. 0-320 with out any problems. In the 170 I did switch to a straight weight oil over one summer to see if there was any difference in oil temps with no signifigant change.

Bottom line. I like the multi weight for winter ops here in PA and might switch to straight weight in the summer if the timing of the oil change was write and the price was cheaper.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I'm in western Washington.I use Phillips XC20-50 all the time,except in the warmest past of the summer I sometimes switch to Aeroshell W100. Doesn't seem to make a difference temp-wise but makes me feel better,I guess. Two years ago,my overhauler recommended the XC20-50,even for break-in. It doesn't use any oil to speak of,and at my recent annual all cyl's (new ECI's) were 80/80 at about 300 SMOH.

Eric
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

I do the same as Eric I use Phillips XC20-50 all the time,except in the warmest past of the summer I sometimes switch to Aeroshell W100.
I even copied his first sentence 8)
Bob
scott

Post by scott »

Switching Oil brands without flushing clean, can cause chemistry problems.

The combustion/oil chemistry/lubrication subject is to very complicated and only fully understood by 3 oil company chemists in the world and they do not aggree.
I am not one of them. I do know that mixing brands causes sludge to form in the engine. and I think is not good for the aformentioned chemistry. Aeroshell states that you can switch between 100 and 15/50. Aeroshell.
I like the Phillips best but it is not available everywhere. I am an FBO and no longer stock it due to lack of sales.

scott
Camas Wa.
zero.one.victor

I buy my Phillips XC20-50 at the local "bulk plant",aka petroleum distributor. The price seems to fluctuate,I don't think I've ever paid the same price twice. 2 weeks ago I paid $26.93 per case,last Sept I paid $29.06,and about a year ago they charged me $36.56! I think their computer got me on that one,but they swore that was the right price and I needed the oil so I paid it. Usually they're a lot cheaper than the aviation supply places,in the neighborhood of 28-30 bucks a case,not much more than Aeroshell W100 or 80.
Scott,I'm based in Port Townsend but get down your way occasionally--always for the Evergreen (soon to be McMinnville) fly-in. Which field is your FBO on?

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Eric, which bulk supply / petroleum distributor do you buy oil from?

I got on the phone one day and did some research (calling around)
and every dist. place I called was a good $10 more per case than
AeroCenter (Thun Field) or National (at Boeing Field).

I must be calling the wrong guys / distributors....???

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Bela,I buy from Petit Oil. I think they're just a local operation,they have a bulk plant at Port Angeles and another at Port Townsend. The one in PT is actually about halfway between Jefferson County International & town. I don't think they're open on the weekend,but if you have time off during the week it wouldn't be hard to arrange a ride from the airport--I'm currently "between positions". I would think there would be several outfits near you that would have the good prices,given your more cityfied location.
The good prices aren't just for the Phillips either,last June I paid $26.63 for a case of W100. I live near the PT location and quite often am working near the PA location,so Petit is real easy for me. I know Aerocenter is right next door for you,what does Bob (?) there charge for oil? He told me once about his Lycoming 360-powered Aeronca Sedan on floats,sounded like fun!

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

At 1st I thought maybe we were talking Aeroshell 100 (the
multi-visc. oils are more expensive), but then I re-read your
post(s) saying you were using Phillips 20W-50.

My receipts are at home, but I want to say Aerocenter was in
excess of $50 bucks for a case of Aeroshell 15W-50 (this was
with sales tax). National was a little less, but by the time you
figured in fuel to fly to Boeing Field, it didn't make much sense
to go there.

Awhile back, I got the yellow pages out and called "oil/petroleum
distributors" around my area (Basically Tacoma) but they were all
more money than Aerocenter or National....

Sounds like it'd be worth flying up to Port Townsend to buy
oil!!!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
N1277D

Oil Prices

Post by N1277D »

For winter operations we use AeroShell 15-50W. Typically we purchase it at a local bulk plant in Idaho Falls. However, it is significantly cheaper if you purchase it by the gallon jug. I believe we pay about $12.50 to $13.00 a gallon vs the $4.75 a quart at the FBOs.

In the summer months we typically run Aeroshell 100W.