?Marsden or Marston matting?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

56alpha

?Marsden or Marston matting?

Post by 56alpha »

I need some help. Im looking for some military plating I think its called marsden or marston matting (I've seen it spelled both ways). Any info on where I can find some would be great. Im looking for the steel or aluminum matting. Any info about the stuff will be a big help.

THANKS
Jay Stokes
170A 9156A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The last time I saw any offered was in Trade-A-Plane, but it is also sometimes found in surplus auctions. It became popular amongst oil-field service companies (Schlumberger, etc.) to build oil-field roads, and that's where I found some to build a boat-ramp. (Works better than concrete with better traction and doesn't wash away or become under-cut by raging floods. It just rests there and follows the ground contour.) Good luck. Last time I saw it, it was priced at $24 per section!
CAS

Marsden Matting

Post by CAS »

I remember Marsden Matting :!: :)

I learned to fly at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, over 30 years ago and Runway 14L/32R was surfaced with Marsden Matting. The runway was consturucted during WWII and still in use 25 years later. I think it has since been replaced with a 'real' paved runway.

I can still remeber the metalic rattle it used to make during takeoff and landing.

The matting was also used for fences, bridges, sheds and a host of other purposes as there was so much of the stuff around.

But I guess this isn't much help to someone in Texas as it is 30 years and half a world away.

David