Springs in place of bungees

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Trapper

Springs in place of bungees

Post by Trapper »

This is really a continuation of where the Axle topic had migrated to.
I phoned Atlee Dodge to-day and they told me they don't have a STC for the use of their springs on a Cessna 170. My question is if anybody out there is already using these springs on a 170? How much travel do the springs allow? If so could you please tell us how you like them and any other information regarding these springs. I would think a spring has to compress and expand about 8 inchs on a 170 with 2500 Airglass skis.
I was quoted $100. per spring to-day, did I hear that price right?
The spring idea sounds great to me. The main problem with bunges is,
in cold weather they loose thier elastic ability and will stretch out , but won't retact. This problem has gotten worse with the new bunges which don't seem to like cold weather at all.
Thank you for all replys.
Trapper
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I have the springs on a set of Aero 3000 skis and love them. They provide plenty of travel. I installed them last winter and the field approval was easy to get, however now we are going to have to go through a commity of inspectors to get any field approvals so no telling how easy they will be to get. But that doesn't affect you in Canada. When I bought mine they were $75 a piece but he may have raised his prices. He provides them with suggested rigging procedure and a graph telling spring tension in pounds verses inches of stretch. Good luck.
Shawn
mit

Post by mit »

I have been flying Airglass skis for almost 20 years with bungees and have not had the problem,have flown down to the -35 degree area. My first set was bought in 82 and the ones I have now rigging was bought around 93 or 94. I have heard that they have changed their supplier of the bunggees over the years call them and ask them.
Tim
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Trapper... Thanks for pulling this subject out of the axel stuff.
Like I said, I need to change my rigging and would like to have other ski people check in with their input. Have you been running a crust cutter (steel cable) on the end of your front bungee :?:
Where are others getting their bungee material and are there drawings out there for federal ski installation on a 170A.
My skis fasten to a bracket on the top of the landing gear do some of you have them attached to the fuselage :?:
Bob
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Bob, I have been using a crust cutter or ice cutter as I call it. My cables are fastened to the aircraft fusilage just in front of the instrument panel,and behind the bottom of back door post.
Shawn,any idea what the spring tenstion is?
Trapper
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Atlee has different rate springs based on what aircraft they go on. I don't have that graph here right now, its down at my hanger. I'll grab it today when I run down there and let you know on those tensions. My personal opinion is they are well worth it, if for no other reason than they are good vertually for ever. All of the bungees I have ran have gotten weaker with age and then it is always in the back of your mind wondering what the condition of all those rubber bands are inside off it. Cold weather did seem to affect mine, they lost some off there elasticity, it wasn't derastic but deffinitly noticable. I have never had one break but then if I had I probablly wouldn't be here to tell about it. I think they are cheap insurance.
Bob, I run the crust cutter also, I think they are a good thing. F. Atlee Dodge also sells those tabs that mount up just behind the fire wall and back behind the door post. They provide a little better angle for the rigging. Installation is real quick and easy.
Shawn