wing covers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

km74

wing covers

Post by km74 »

I ordered wing and engine covers for my 51 170A from kennon. I havent recieved them yet, hopefully in a couple of days. They are the black nylon ones. I am just using them to keep frost off the wings for winter. Does anyone have a set of Kennon covers? How do they fit? Do they bunch up and loosen off when it is windy? Any comments are welcome.

Ken
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I have ordered other items from Kennon and could not be happier. They are GREAT to do business with.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I think almost all wing covers bunch up or do something crazy in the wind. There are two solutions that I know of. 1) Turn the airplane downwind, that will keep the covers in place as long as you can live with your airplane downwind. 2) Remove the covers because frost will not collect if its windy.

Keeping an airplane in flying condition in the winter is a full time job, sometimes. These are the only Alaska tricks I know.

Kelly
flyguy

SPOILERS

Post by flyguy »

I saw a couple of planes (out in Kansas) with wing covers that had small spoilers sewn onto the top surface to keep them from fluttering in a strong wind. I have no idea if that worked 100% or not. If the covers do flutter and there is dust or abrasive material in the fabric or on the wings it will eventually dull the gloss on painted surfaces.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

So, FlyGuy, THAT's what happened to your paint! 8O I wondered.
Do you suppose that covers made of sweatshirt material, with the fleecy side faced inwards, and with a little polish smeared on the wing first, would keep an un-painted airplane polished? (We might could make some money off some Sooners and JayHawks with an idea like that!) :wink:
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Leave a little snow on your wing covers , that will stop them from blowing around.
Trapper