Fishing Rod Tube?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170Driver

Fishing Rod Tube?

Post by C170Driver »

Anyone know of a field approved or STC'd tube for stashing fishing rods? I have heard of ski-tubes, maybe that would work?
Pat Shier
"We were ignorant, and we were ignorant of the fact we were ignorant. That is ignorance squared, and it can lead to disaster." Igor Sikorsky
mit

Post by mit »

Pat

You sold your 170 and got a 180... Did the 170 stay in the Juneau area?

I wish I had a 180 or 180 hp! Are you still getting your annuals done in Fairbanks?
Tim
C170Driver

Post by C170Driver »

The 170 is still in Juneau - but now on wheels for the winter. The buyer will get a float rating in the spring. I had the 180 annual in Fairbanks - it was the first time through this plane (my father-in-law's) so it took a while - trying to sort out whether I really wanted to "trade up."

I know them's fightin' words ("trade-up") in this forum - so before anyone flames me: I do agree that the 170B is a dream to fly. It surely out-performed the 180 lightly loaded (180hp, Sportsman STOL, etc...). Felt like I was arguing with the 180 until I had about 10 hours in it. Now we are getting to be old friends.

Annual turned up a number of issues that we fixed, added BAS harnesses and it is currently in ANC with new floats and the WingX extensions. Lake Hood freeze up means it will be there 'till spring. If you want the locus of the Fairbanks shop - send an email and I will fill you in. Outstanding work, thorough, doesn't charge extra if I help, and the log books are works of (truth) and art.
Pat Shier
"We were ignorant, and we were ignorant of the fact we were ignorant. That is ignorance squared, and it can lead to disaster." Igor Sikorsky
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The list of 337's available from 170 Assn HQ includes "fishing rod tube (170)". I would think that the installation would be applicable to the 180 also,if the new rules regarding field approvals don't cause you too much grief.
Seems like a double-capped piece of PVC pipe of the appropriate size tie-wrapped to a couple of bulkheads back behind the baggage compartment would work just fine. Not too apparent to a casual glance,and easily removed at (annual) inspection time.

Eric
C170Driver

Post by C170Driver »

I shudda known about the association's inventory of 337s - thanks. I am liking the removeable idea. I suppose I shouldn't fuss - but if I could simply "break" the fly rod in half and keep it rigged and ready, without the usual danger of snagging something or snapping the rod...
Pat Shier