Copalis Beach

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Copalis Beach

Post by zero.one.victor »

Decided to take advantage of the fine weather today & flew with some friends down Hood Canal and out to Hoquiam for lunch,then up the coast & back to Port Townsend. We decided to take the time to land and hang out a bit at Copalis Beach. In case you don't know of it,it is a Washington State Airport just north of Ocean Shores. The runway is just a nice wide,flat,straight stretch of beach. I've flown by it many times but never landed there.
It was awesome! Lotsa fun to make the approach & land,I can see why it's a popular spot. I got bogged down in the sand when I tried to swing the tail arround sharply,like on the pavement. I found out that's a no-no. Happily I had some help to get un-bogged.We lucked into landing there within about 2 hours of low time,high tide might make it unusable.
I was with 2 wing-challenged Pipers (a Clipper & a Pacer),a real nice B model 170 came in just as we were getting ready to leave, Jim & Wendy (?) from Renton. The same colors & paint scheme as Bela's B model,as they were landing that's who I thought it was.
If you get a chance to fly to Copalis,go for it! Ya might want to check when low tide is,though. The cafe at Hoquiam is real good,too.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, just to give a little perspective to all the commentary about the fly ins we have down here in Texas,... today no fly ins.
Today it was low, gray overcast with drizzle and occasional heavier rainshowers, all day. At nightfall I just couldn't stand it any longer and Roulette (my black Lab) and I went out to the hangar and just sat there sipping on a Beck's and watching/listening to the rain come down outside the open hangar door. I don't know why I find it so relaxing. But sometimes just sitting here with this dog's head resting on my foot, while sitting under the wing, and gazing out into the dark at the rain is good enough.
Good night, friends.
flyguy

BECKS OR BLACK AND TAN?

Post by flyguy »

ITZ BIN RAINEN EVER SINCE LAST WEEK AN MY HANGAR IS FULL OF PLANES SO I GOTTA SIT OUTSIDE! WISH I COUDA BIN SITTN THERE WITCHA ALL DRY AN OUTTA THU RAIN! BILLY BOB WONT DRINK WITH ME ANYMORE SINCE I CHANGED OVER TO "BLACK AN TAN" (FROM A/B). HE SEZ ITS AN INSULT TA DRINK SUMPIN NAMED AFTER A HOUN! :lol: THU STUFF IS GOOD THO, KINDA LIKE "GINNUS STOUT". SO I JUS DRINK ALONE, LOOK AT THE SUNSET OUT OVER TEXAS AN WISH FER THEM SUNNY BEACHES OLE ERICS BIN LANDIN ON.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Yesterday flew to Calhoun, GA for fly in. They have a brand new super nice FBO building and yesterday was there grand opening/fly in. Lots of tail draggers but no other 170's or 180's but me. CAP had pancake breakfast and hamburger lunch. Naturally I ate both. Even had one four place Paris jet fly in. Today is overcast with rain forcast this afternoon but Iwouldn't be flying anyway as I am involved with the railroad. We have campaign train between here and Chattanooga this afternoon for a local State Representative candidate.

Harold H
N92CP
Mbr# 893
zero.one.victor

Yeah Gary,that beach was sunny,about 55-60 degrees. Nice! Then again,it was 22 degrees yesterday morning,and my buddy with the Clipper almost did something else instead of flying cuz the fog had his house socked in til after 10 am.
I'll be the envious one after it goes to raining & snowing around here.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Harold Holiman wrote:Yesterday flew to Calhoun, GA for fly in. They have a brand new super nice FBO building and yesterday was there grand opening/fly in. Lots of tail draggers but no other 170's or 180's but me. CAP had pancake breakfast and hamburger lunch. Naturally I ate both. Even had one four place Paris jet fly in. Today is overcast with rain forcast this afternoon but Iwouldn't be flying anyway as I am involved with the railroad. We have campaign train between here and Chattanooga this afternoon for a local State Representative candidate.

Harold H
N92CP
Mbr# 893
Harold, you might've been looking at 25% of the Paris jet fleet! (Olive Ann only bought four of them, and only assembled two before quittin'. She used one for a demonstrator and made only one sale. The other two were surplused a year or so later, still in the crates.
knesbitt

Post by knesbitt »

Harold, I was in Calhoun with my 170 Saturday also. I didn't get there until about 2PM. Guess you were gone. Wish I had seen you, only one person had anything to say about the 170. By the time I got there all of the hamburgers and most of he real pilots were gone..... :).....where are you based wih your plane?
Ken Nesbitt
zero.one.victor

Me and some friends are shooting for another trip to Copalis Beach this Saturday (Nov 30),if the wx permits. Probably leave Port Townsend around noon and get out there around 1pm or so,and do a picnic on the beach. Low tide (+1.1') is around 4,so anytime much after noon is probably OK for landing.
Any other 170'ers up for it? (Bela & Jim,you listening?)

Eric