Micro AeroDynamics Vortex Generators

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Dickey

Micro AeroDynamics Vortex Generators

Post by Joe Dickey »

Good Morning,

Does anyone have any experience with Micro AeroDynamics Vortex generators?? They are apparently STC'd for C 170A and B, but not for the C 170 with metal wings. I have email discussed with the Owner and he will sell them without the STC for $485 complete ($1,450 with STC) and using a 337 for approval. Has anyone tried this before and has an approved 337 available?? I was considering Horton STOL kit which I have used successfully in the past, but the price of the VGs (if they perform as claimed) make it look attractive......any thoughts/experience???
Joe Dickey
C 170
N1948A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've wondered about VG's for my '48 170 also. I wouldn't think that it would matter whether the wings were fabric covered or metalized.I think it would be the shape of the airfoil. Does anyone know what airfoil is used on the ragwing 170,versus the 170 A & B?
I seem to recall that Micro offers VG's for the 120/140. Since the ragwing is just an overgrown,4-place 140,if the airfoil is the same,I wonder if the STC'd 120/140 installation might be a valid basis for a field approval?
I'm based about 30 miles from Anacortes Washington ,where Micro is located. If you want,tell the guy at Micro that I might be willing to let them use my airplane to get the VG's approved for the 48 170,depending on what they need to do with it of course.

Eric Taylor
N4401V
russ murri

vortex gen

Post by russ murri »

see my post in the hanger.... I am in the process of getting a 337. but there is another way to buy them at a much cheaper price. dont spend your money yet. read my hanger post and then contact me Russ