Fuel Pumps and Check Valves for Ragwings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Fuel Pumps and Check Valves for Ragwings

Post by GAHorn »

These questions come up in telephone calls and emails to me often enough that I thought I'd post it here.
Yes, a ragwing MUST have an operable fuel pump and check valve.
No, you may NOT remove it.
Yes, there are situations where the fuel flow is insufficient in t he ragwing without them, due to fuel system differences.
No, replacing the engine with a later engine does NOT relieve the requirements for the pump and check valve. (It's an airframe thing, not an engine thing.)
Yes, pumps and check valves are available.

Pumps are less expensive NEW than overhauled from Aircraft Spruce 877/477-7823, their PN AF-40585, for $249. (Or if you want the original AC pump in overhauled condition order PN 05-19025 for $267.95) 8O
The check valve, is Republic PN 483-1/4-DI-1/4 available from Sturgis Equipment at Ph: 913/492-2444. (This last check-valve info courtesy of Eric, the Hokey-Pokey Man.) :wink:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Thanks for the mention,George--I got that info from an article in the #1/2000 170 News,written by member William Kelsall.
The Nov '02 Flypaper had this notice from Duane Shockey,a longtime member/ragwing owner in the San Diego area.
"170 check valve--ragwing only.We have 7 orders & need 3 more. The fuel line check valves are $59 plus tax & shipping if we order 10 or more.Contact Duane Shockey at 858-278-9676,shockeysd@aol.com"
Duane is running an electric fuel pump on his ragwing,in lieu of the mechanical pump, which he had field approved on a 337. He wrote a pretty informative article in the #3/99 170 News about this subject.
Velvet at HQ can probably send you a copy of this article,as well as a copy of approved 337(s) for electric fuel pump installation(s).
As Duane's article describes,the electric fuel pump installation is much simpler and safer than the stock mechanical pump with regards to the fuel line arrangement. I thought about converting to an electric pump system myself when I did my engine overhaul about 2 years ago,but after discussing it with my IA we decided that we didn't want to get tangled up in the approval process.
I have seen an electric boost pump set-up on a O-320 Lycoming-converted Cessna 150 that evidently had a bypass built into the pump,as it did not involve a check-valve and the associated bypass lines. As I recall,the fuel line came out of the gascolator,thru the pump,and on to the carb. The pump was only switched on for TO & landing.

Eric
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Oh,and George,mechanics that work on my airplane call me Hokey,pilots that fly with me call me Pokey,but only fellow 170'ers call me Hokey-Pokey!

H.P. Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Okie-Dokey! :wink: