rear Seat Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

rear Seat Question

Post by Dave Clark »

I purchased a rear seat from a fellow that was supposedly from an A Model. I tried to fit the bottom portion (which is not upholstered) in my '52B yesterday. First it would not go down inside the side mounts. It seemed about 1/4" too wide. One side might have been bowed out but if so it was very slightly. The center front and rear bolts looked like they would fit fine if it went down in place. The other thing I noticed was that it appeared the seat would interfere with the cover over the door post at the front outside corners. My covers were off but I tried to hold them in there and I'm pretty sure they won't fit and that the bends in the seat frame are not going to give enough clearance even though they look right. This is the seat I was thinking of making into one seat but with the clearance problem at the door post I don't think I want to try cutting it.

Anybody a rear seat expert? Is there a difference between the A and B seats?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are seven (7) different part numbers for various rear seats from the first A models to the last B models. The exact differences may only be upholstery however. (The seat back attaching levers changed at serial 26996.)
The actual framework appears to be the same, in the IPC, and the fusleage measurements I don't think changed, so most seat bottom frameworks should fit. These seats DO fit very tightly in some cases, so you may have to "massage" your seat frame a bit.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Thanks for the input George.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
OTIS

BAS stowable rear seats

Post by OTIS »

I'm thinking about putting BAS stowable rear seats in next winter. Does anyone have them installed? What is your opinion of them?

Install time? Any items I should watch out for? gerry (N8072A)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

OTIS

I had them in my 180 and liked them a lot. The only disadvantage is they still take up a little space in the folded position. Like all BAS products they are well engineered and very high quality but barely affordable. I've still been considering them for the 170 but with the engine conversion and tons of other things going into it this winter I've got to stop somewhere.

I really like the idea of a sling seat, like the Stinson 108, but have not managed to get photos or documentation on how to do it.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe the Atlee-Dodge floding seats are a little cheaper than BAS,but I like the BAS better. The Atlee-Dodge's are STC'd for 180/185,not sure about the 170,might be a field approval show which is quite an ordeal now if even possible with the new FAA rules.
Bud Blancher will sell the BAS seats as a single,either left or right. Price is a little more than half the "both" price.

Eric
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

I have the sling seat in my 170B, it was in it when I bought it. My opinion is save your money until you can buy the Atlee or BAS seats. They arn't that much more expensive than the sling seat. And with them you get cargo tie downs and easily stowable or removable seats, you also have the flexibility of only having one installed. The sling seat is probably the most uncomfortable thing you have ever sat in. If you are over about 5'8" your head will rub. About 40 minutes is about all a guy can stand to sit in it. I bought lawn chair cushions for it and it did help alot but you compromise your already limited head room. To top it all off they aren't that easy to remove and install. Just my two cents.
Shawn