Seat of the pants is not enough

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JDH

Seat of the pants is not enough

Post by JDH »

Got scared last week and learned a lesson. After refuelling and a coffee with friends in Cornwall, I went back to the plane, did the walk around and "hopped" back in the plane. Pull the seat adjustment lever and did the butt pull while hand in the hand-hole also pulling; so far, so good. I ensure my seat is properly locked in the track before setting the "safe-t-lock", by pushing back with my butt and back. This is when it got exciting: The seat back broke! The tubing broke above the hinge portion of the original seat. I immediately ended up down onto the back seat. Holy molly! Broke!! Thank God I was still on the ground and shut down, not taxiing or taking off or landing... I switched the seats and wrestled with the seat that now occupies the pilot's side, felt and prodded around the seat back and took off. For the 1/2 hour ride home, I was thanking the big controller in the sky for this not to have happened at a critical time of flight. And I could not help but think of a few possible scenarios and what could one do... Some friend when I told him of this said: That is one of the reasons (seat sliding back or breaking) you should always have a hand on the throttle at take off; if the seat goes back, you end up pulling on the throttle and not the yoke, which would mean stall and bad news. Lesson learned: Check the seat (50 years old) thoroughly before each flight. There was talk on another post about flying from the right side and it made me think: If this had happened in flight, assuming I got control of it and after changing my shorts, it would have been very difficult to fly, let alone land without a seat back. Sure, in flight, given some altitude, I am still limber enough to move to the right seat, but could I land the plane from there; I am sure I'd find a way, but it may not be pretty... It brings up the question: Should we go up with a check pilot and practice take-offs and landings from the right seat? JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What if you're 20 feet in the air and your seat back breaks and your hand is on the throttle?
The most powerful argument I know for determining the proper setting for the elevator (pitch) trim for takeoff. If it's set correctly, you should be able to let go of everything and only see an increased climb when your seat falls back. (Let go of everything! Except the doorpost handle and the seatback next to you to pull yourself back into position.)
Inspect those seats every 100-hours/annual. (See the Service Manual 100 Hour Inspection Form, Airframe, Item 6: "Seats for ease of movement, positive locking, security, and seat stops; seat upholstery for rips, tears, holes, and cleanliness; seat structure for cracks, bends, and corrosion,; seat rails for security, cracks, and damage.)
JDH

Post by JDH »

George, if 20' in the air and lots of runway ahead, land... I hear what you are saying and in theory, I agree. BUT, you have to remember, that even if the trim is set and I always set mine, it all goes back to reflexes and instincts. If we had time to think it over, yes, let go of everything. BUT your natural reflexes would not let you just bounce off the back seat without an attempt to "catch" yourself with the closest things to your hands: Yoke and throttle; hopefully, you would have the instinct to let go right away, but not sure that would help. On take off, there is more weight on the seat back than in flight, because of the angle of attack thing; you're snapping back to the rear compartment, unless you have a third hand to hold on to the doorpost on departure... At my annual, they checked everything they could "see" and feel. The back broke inside the upholstery, they could not have caught that. I will take the upholstery off the seat back and hopefully, I'll know more. It is not impossible that some modification or repair had been done improperly in the plane's 50 year history. The upholstery is not original (has AirTex tags) and we know that alot of modifications and repairs go un-reported. I guess the reason why I brought this up in the first place is to say: Expect the unexpected and maybe after we debate this, we'll remember to let go of everythinng, sit back up and fly the dang plane... JD
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, JDH, I agree and I'm glad you shared it with us and that it worked out for you. It's a "wake-up" call for all of us. There's been plenty of aircraft crash because of a failed pilot's seat. I once taxied a Baron across the airport and the front seat rail-attach broke when I was applying brakes. It dumped me flat on my back into the rear floorboards and I couldn't get up for almost 40 yards of additional travel down the taxiway. I was only able to stop by "rolling" over on my side, kneeling to stand up and pull the mixtures.
flyguy

Old don't always mean

Post by flyguy »

JDH, It doesn't even have to be an old airframe to let you view the headliner from a reclining position during takeoff! A friend and I had rented a "New 1972" Cessna Skyhawk for a trip to pick up my 170 (that had been WXed down in Tulsa). Airframe total time was less than 50 hours and the (pilot) seat back adjusting cam failed and my friend, flying left seat, ended up facing the roof! If I had not been right seat he probably wouldn't be here today! We continued the flight but had to prop a brief case between the back seat and the back of the pilots seat to be able for the left seater to operate the controls.

The bottom line - - - Remember Mr. Murphy is always lurking in the shadows!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey GAR,
You need to have that thing WaXed again! It's lookin' kinda dull last I saw it. :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

This is one reason I do not hold the throttle after advancing it full for take off. I hold on to the hand hold in the top of the instrument panel instead. My thoughts are that I'll be able hold myself forward if the seat lets go. Of course if I can't and end up in the back seat I'll be full throttle which might means I may get to the crash site faster. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I'm just glad I put in a new headliner!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Rudy Mantel

Post by Rudy Mantel »

Good one, Joe !
Rudy
flyguy

USE FOR OLD HEAD LINER

Post by flyguy »

I THOT OF A COUPLE USES FOR YOUR OLD HEDLINER. MAYBE U COULD RAP IT AROUN URE BARE TALE SPRING SO'S YU WUDNT SCAR UP SUMBODYS RAMP OR RUNWAY. OR MAYBE USE IT TU CLEAN UP AFTER YER SEATBAK BROKE! :roll:
N1478D

Re: USE FOR OLD HEAD LINER

Post by N1478D »

flyguy wrote:I THOT OF A COUPLE USES FOR YOUR OLD HEDLINER. MAYBE U COULD RAP IT AROUN URE BARE TALE SPRING SO'S YU WUDNT SCAR UP SUMBODYS RAMP OR RUNWAY. OR MAYBE USE IT TU CLEAN UP AFTER YER SEATBAK BROKE! :roll:
... yawn ...
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

You guys plum scare me!
Thinking of wearing a Safety Harness, tied off to the V-Brace in my windshield :?:
Dave